imiwa? (Japanese dictionary)
By Pierre-Phi di Costanzo
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
(Powered by iSpeech®)
This application is a multilingual Japanese dictionary for iPhone and iPod touch devices. It offers dictionary/kanji and example sentences full offline use.
Imiwa? was created using the amazing JMdict files from the Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group based on the work of Jim Breen on the EDICT project.
Use the Japanese keyboard to look-up words in kana/kanji.
Use the Traditional Chinese character recognition keyboard included in the iPhone system for drawing kanji on screen.
Imiwa? now uses the iSpeech® technology to synthesize voice in many languages including Japanese! This function requires a network connection.
What's New in Version 4.0.1
New in imiwa? 4.0.1
This is a maintenance release addressing the following:
* Correctly layout screen when using Accessibility > Large text system setting
* Correctly clear recent searches if history is completely deleted
* Fixed a couple of crash reasons
* Minor interface adjustments
Previously in imiwa? 4.0
As of now and going forward, imiwa? is iOS7 only. If your device runs an older version of the system the App Store now allows you to download a version compatible with your device.
imiwa? is free as always, does not bother you with advertising nor does it request you repeatedly to rate it on the App Store.
Major changes :
* iOS7 look and feel
* Left side menu replaces tab bar
* QR magic see www.imiwaapp.com/qrmagic
* AirDrop dictionary entry, kanji entry or full vocabulary list/backup
* Share by flashing a QR code
* Open lists in external applications supporting the format (e.g. Kanji flow - flash cards)
* You can now nest vocabulary lists to better organise them
* Personal notes for dictionary and kanji entries
Implemented a « jump to dictionary search » shortcut at top of side menu: From any screens you are at most 2 taps away from starting a search
* Russian interface localisation
* Implemented swipe to favourite on example sentences
* Multiradical search is much much faster
* Preview a few compounds in kanji view
* Offline voice synthesis thanks to new iOS7 feature when no network connection
* Use of dynamic fonts, lighter fonts used throughout (font size control is now in system settings)
* Added button on every screen to unwind screen stack to top view
* Implemented recent searches when search field is being edited
* Removed 2 finger swipe to pop-up in view hierarchy (replaced by iOS7 swipe right from edge)
* Increased history retention to 150 items (was 50)
If you like imiwa? please consider leaving a rating on the App Store review page.
This a fantastic app for people who are interested in learning Japanese, are learning currently, or speak it already. Seriously so good! For me, there's no other app on the market besides imiwa for Japanese language resources. I recommend using the app with the Kana/かな keyboard too.
I can look up Kanji I don't recognize. The app even shows how to properly write the kanji for stroke count w/ an animation. Also, I can find out about more regional or informal parts of speech that might be colloquial or uncommon. There's so so so much the app has done for my reading and grammar skills as someone who's mostly self-taught. I'm good at listening/speaking it already, but the option to have the app speak words I'm not sure of w/ either male/female voices is great too.
As I said above, imiwa が好きだ‼︎（＾Ｏ＾☆♪
Best Japanese dictionary I've seen
Having lived in and gone to school in Japan as a foreigner, I can definitely say there were times I needed a little extra help. This dictionary is wonderful, it's increased my vocabulary, gives great examples and phrases, and has SKIP, so you're always able to identify or find the word you're looking for. There were times where even Japanese friends would borrow my phone to look up Kanji, or English words. It can also be a life saver when trying to communicate with other (non English speaking) foreigners as there are often multiple languages available with a word. I would definitely recommend it to anyone learning Japanese or visiting Japan, you find anything better.
THE BEST THERE IS.
I have tried pretty much all of the free japanese to english/english to japanese translator and dictionary apps. i only kept a select few and deleted the rest. i will NEVER delete this app. my fav of many other features is the auto clipboard detection <3 that feature is just spot on and exactly what every translator app should have! imiwa has replaced the previous apps i used to translate and look up words. what would make it even better tho, is adding more words to dictionary, because there have been a few times that i got no results found. other than that, i love this app so much and recommend it to every japanese language learner!!!!!!!!!!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Apr 11, 2014
- Version: 4.0.1
- Size: 759 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Seller: Pierre-Philipp di Costanzo
- © Pierre-Philippe di Costanzo
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.