By Christopher Schardt
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
L.E.D. Lab is the quickest, easiest, most powerful way to drive your LED sculpture or display. Custom programming is no longer required to get up-and-running! It is ideal for artists, professional display designers, architects, VJs, lighting designers, hobbyists, and anyone wanting to add a little animated color to their home, business or wardrobe.
L.E.D. Lab allows you to create a list of Scenes, which can be played back in order or shuffled. There are currently two kinds of Scenes:
● Pictures Scene - A montage of still images, videos, and live camera feeds is designed. The position, velocity, rotation, size, and coloring of each picture can be animated. You can use your own photos and videos. Rendering to odd-shaped displays is made possible with photographically-generated map files.
● Strips Scene - Particles of color are sent down each strip. The velocity, hue, saturation, and brightness of each particle can be animated.
Other features include:
● Music - Create lists of Tracks. Each track plays a song from your music library, along with any number of Scenes. You can elaborately choreograph a song, or let the Scenes play in random order.
● Audio Reactivity - Any animatable parameter may be controlled by the amplitude of audio in a specified frequency range.
● External Control - Any animatable parameter may be controlled by MIDI, DMX, ArtNet, or OSC.
● Color Keying - An image, video file, or live video feed can be made selectively transparent, making it easy to mix in with other images.
● Tiling - Any image, video file, or live video feed can be tiled in any or all directions, with adjustable spacing and fade-out.
● Display Modes - Editing can be performed with or without the LEDs connected. The editing UI can also be hidden, allowing operation in a "kiosk" mode.
So what kind of LED display can you make with L.E.D. Lab? Some Examples:
Any iOS device can be used to play Scene Lists. An iPad is best for full editing. L.E.D. Lab works with the following LED controllers:
● PixelPusher (our favorite)
● Art-Net - common DMX-over-IP protocol
It can also display to an external monitor or projector, serving as a VJ app.
Extensive help information is provided for the rich user-interface:
● Help Explorer - Displays help text for any knob, slider, button, popup, list, or view inside a magnifying glass you drag around the screen. (See this in the last screen shot.)
● Help Topics - Little chapters to read about some of the more detailed functionalities.
● Help Tutorials
What's New in Version 1.74
• Faster, smoother animation, particularly during transitions
• Help Explorer can now be hidden by tapping anywhere
• Tap a Scene's thumbnail to reset it
Great controller for server-managed LED arrays.
When one of the biggest issues with an app is that you wish that there was a desktop version because you can’t afford to dedicate an iPhone to it, you know you've done a good job.
This is a strikingly complete app, with some really good designs on it. It's got a high learning curve on a number of aspects, and while most issues are resolvable, there's a number of areas where you'll want to take some time to fiddle and practice with the setup before putting it into a production environment.
(For example, using it with a FadeCandy system required my contacting the dev - who responded promptly, so more kudos there!)
One important note - as of my last testing, it does not know Bonjour/ZeroConf, so you NEED to know the IP of your server to connect. You can't give it a machine name as the address.
All in all, it's a fine piece of work, and you can test your setup before purchasing the full packages. Highly recommended.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: May 18, 2017
- Version: 1.74
- Size: 25.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Christopher Schardt
- © 2013-2017 Christopher Schardt
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- LED Display$19.99
- LED Artist Pack$59.99
- Everything Pack$174.99
- Live Microphone$9.99
- Advanced Mapping$49.99
- External Control$19.99
- Live Video$9.99
- VJ Pack$79.99