"To have all this capability in a smartphone is a wonder"—TUAW
Record timelapse video in true HDR and up to 4K HD resolution on your iPhone!
Watch the demo video and a before/after video at http://www.thaliacam.com/lapse/ios.html
How does it work?
The patent-pending HD/R™ technology in Thalia™ Lapse HD/R takes several different exposures of the same scene for each video frame and works magic (technical term: tonemapping) to turn them into a video stream reflecting the scene’s dynamic range.
* Up to 5 EV values of dynamic range expansion, depending on the scene shot
* Multi-stage deflickering avoids the flickering artifacts that often occur when stitching together time-lapse video from photos
* Deghosting avoids ghosting artifacts from moving objects
* Processing on the iPhone’s GPU calculates tonemapped video in real time, preserving local contrast on scenes with strong dynamic range
* Stores high-quality movies in Quicktime format with up to 2060p resolution (can be set by user; 2060p on iPhone 6S and iPad Pro and higher; 1080p available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2 and higher, lower resolutions on other devices)
* Amazing built-in processing modes for a subdued effect, adding punch to the video, and artistic effect
* If desired, adds a soundtrack from your iTunes library to the video
Time-lapse videography by its very nature demands a certain patience from the videographer. You will need some sort of contraption to keep your phone pointing steadily in one direction while you are shooting the video. It's certainly possible to jury-rig this using a book or such, but we strongly recommend using a tripod. See http://www.thaliacam.com/lapse/ios.html for details.
New user interface for iPhone X, better iOS 11 support, better image quality.
Ratings and Reviews
Last two versions simply won’t launch. Bummer as I would always use this for my Christmas decorating time lapse.
Wish my screen wasn't always-on during long lapse sessions.
It's a great app and works as promised. Have created some really fun time lapse videos.
Would have been a 5-star review but for the fact that my screen never turns off during a capture, and there apprars to be no way to capture a series with it off.
So if your device is not plugged in, the max capture time is understandably short. Having that screen on really drains the battery and I am not using my iPhone during an hour long capture, because the phone needs to be immobile.
There may not be a technical solution (I hope there is) but this always-on screen issue limits the flexibility of the app.
I tried timelapse videos with my DSLR and gave up because it was clumsy and I couldn't get rid of flickering. With this little app I get amazing movies without having to do anything. This is a breakthrough!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.