Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Lead Wars is a turn-based strategy game requiring smart thinking and physical skill. It simulates the real life paper war games played in the days before portable gaming devices which needed only a pencil, some paper and lots of imagination!
• Charted #1 Strategy Game in 60 countries!
Control a fleet of planes, tanks and artillery units by taking turns to flick a pencil around a hand-drawn battlefield on a piece of paper, making long curve shots and strategic moves to try and outwit and out-skill your opponent.
• "The execution is what makes Lead Wars shine. Startlingly unique, a fabulous little game." 4.5/5 - MacReview.com
• "Surprisingly deep … from a strategic perspective, Lead Wars is a beautiful achievement” 4/5 - iOS Game Of The Day, GamePro.com
• "Some battle are easily solved puzzles, while other start to feel more like chess games." 4/5 - PadGadget Recommended! PadGadget.com
• "You'll definitely love this game." 4/5 - TouchReviews.net
• If you're looking for a great game to play with friends, we suggest grabbing this one … it really shines on the iPad” - Amber Neely, MacNN.com
• “A brilliantly implemented game" - iPhone-Experience.com
• iTunes review - djflippy: "Lead Wars has a rare quality; the simulation is actually better than that which it simulates." 5/5
Note this is not your typical path-drawing game - this is a simulation of the real life game played with a real pencil.
The flick mechanic works just like it does in real life (try it!): Point a pencil straight down onto some paper, holding it by the top with just one finger. While pressing down firmly, slowly tilt the top of the pencil - beyond a critical angle the tip will suddenly slip away leaving a line drawn on the paper. This line determines your move or shot on the battlefield.
Lead Wars simulates this mechanic using the touch-screen as if you're touching the top of a real pencil. See videos of the real life game and Lead Wars in action:
• Online Multiplayer - battle live or asynchronously*
• 2-player tabletop / pass 'n' play
• Single-player vs-CPU
• Single-player Campaign - rise up through the Army ranks
• Map Creator - create your own battlefields
• Instant Replays - replay all moves and shots in latest turn
• 26 Game Center Achievements (some secret!) + Leaderboards
• Training missions and 150+ Campaign missions
• Visual 'MoveAid' system and tips for beginners
• 16 built-in battlefields, store up to 75 custom maps
• Have up to 25 local games on the go at once
• Have up to 30 Asynchronous online games on the go
• Highly configurable Game Setup
• Choice of 4 paper styles + 3 pencil leads
• Doodle graphics and verbal sounds - just like the real game!
* Online multiplayer requires Game Center. Asynchronous online play requires iOS 5.0 or later.
• Universal app supporting Retina Display
• Share maps via the system Clipboard
• Game Center turn alert push notifications*
• Auto-rotating interface - play in any orientation
• Allows iPod music in the background
* Turn alert sounds and settings can be controlled in Settings | Notifications | Game Center
The best thing about playing Lead Wars on your iOS device though is you're not having to rub out your previous moves, there's no arguments whether a shot hit or not and no dangerous flying pencils! The physical dexterity required to make your move makes the game challenging but ultimately more fun and rewarding, particularly when you make that near-impossible curve shot around a wall to win the battle!
What's New in Version 1.9
• First Sergeant Campaign Missions
• An all-new Standard Map
• Fixes for iOS 8 and new iOS devices:
- Fixed crash when viewing the Campaign list
- Fixed online games list refresh on app resume
Controls are actually pretty good
Okay, a lot of reviews complain about the controls. And yes, the controls are hard. And they're hard for the AI, too. I have seen the AI drive tanks into rivers and flub what should have been easy shots. The thing here is, if you ever actually played the paper version of this game, yes, it really is sort of hard to control a skittering pencil. That's what the game is trying to simulate. And it absolutely is sort of hard to control, but that turns out to be fun once you get a bit better at it.
I think there's some quirks (collision detection seems to have a consistent bias in one direction, but it's paper-direction, neither for nor against the human player), but overall this is really nicely done and has a lot of fun and depth.
Reminds me of my childhood
Great game all around. Simple and challenging at the same time. If you played as a kid, you'll love this game. No more erasing and re-drawing, no more arguing if it was actually a "hit" or not.
The only thing I can say bad about it, is that it is sometimes inconsistent about whether or not your tanks are destroyed due to moving over water. Sometimes it only takes a sliver and boom, other times you can get away with half your tank riding in the water!
Other than that small complaint, this game is a steal for 99 cents!
Amazing game, one of the longest and most worthwhile games in the App Store. If you've ever played paper and pencil games, and you enjoy war, action, strategy games, get this. Superbly designed, and sound effects are amazing.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Oct 31, 2014
- Version: 1.9
- Size: 23.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: DemonStudios
- © 2010-2015 DemonStudios Ltd
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.