Learner's Dictionary - English
By Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The best dictionary available for English language learners, from Merriam-Webster.
Master written and spoken English with this app designed especially for learners and teachers of the language.
Improve your understanding of English words and phrases with full, clear definitions and numerous usage examples. The app also offers Voice Search – to let you look up a word without having to spell it – along with Audio Pronunciations, Word of the Day, Favorites, and more.
This is an essential app for anybody learning English.
* No Advertisements
* 100,000 words and phrases
* 160,000 usage examples that show how each word is used
* More than 22,000 idioms, verbal collocations, and commonly used phrases
* Count and noncount noun labeling
* Voice Search – Say the word and the app will find it for you!
* Audio Pronunciations – by native speakers of American English
* Integrated Thesaurus: Synonyms & Antonyms
* Word of the Day – includes idioms and phrasal verbs
* More than 1,000 illustrations
* Favorites – lets you keep track of words you want to remember
* Recent History – lets you keep track of the words you've looked up
* Reader View – lets you hide navigation buttons to see text in full screen
Good and improvement
This is a good dictionary app to me. Ui is clear. Explanation is easy to understand. Words can be saved for future revisiting, which is very useful for me as a learner.
The improvement would be to synch up the saved with the web site. I still spend more time on a pc and a real browser than a phone. So it would be good to get a copy of the saved words on both places. I think people call this "cloud" these days.
Voice Search Not Working
The voice search feature stopped working one day and I had to delete the app and re-download.
Other than that, I use this as a primary dictionary. Sometimes, it fails to explain the subtlety a word conveys but overall, it's a good reference for non native speakers with a decent price. I wish they expand the vocabulary list and utilize the smart phone more. For instance, they can include sounds or even videos.
An excellent reference
This dictionary has a wealth of examples. This makes it much easier for students of English to understand the correct usage of words. The pronunciations are written in the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet), instead of M-W's old fashioned system. The IPA is easier to understand and used in many places now.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Released: Jun 05, 2012
- Version: 1.0.2
- Size: 17.1 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Seller: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- © 2012 Merriam-Webster Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.