Lenka is a remarkably simple yet powerful, dedicated black & white camera app developed in France by world renowned photographer Kevin Abosch (kevinabosch.com) for professionals & amateurs alike, to create beautiful black & white photographs. Lenka is optimised for use with iPhone 7/7Plus/8/X-- For highest image quality, we suggest using these devices with iOS 11 installed.
- Realtime "What you see is what you get" preview as you shoot.
- Pinch screen to switch from rectangular "full frame" format to square format.
- Automatic focus or Manual Focus. (Manual Focus only available with iOS8 or later)
- Adjust exposure manually with control slider.
- Adjust contrast manually with control slider.
- Subtle cooler/warmer Temperature Tint control slider.
- Option to take photo by pressing volume buttons.
- Edit photos (crop/rotate) and share via email or messenger and to Facebook and Twitter.
- Export photos to Instagram! (Must have Instagram on your device for this feature)
- Tap the lightbulb icon to illuminate your subjects with constant light (not flash)
Lenka does not allow for flash photography or the use of your front facing camera. These are creative decisions which speak to our artistic philosophy.
"Free apps exist to provide the same kind of service, but often fall short of Lenka’s simple brilliance" - SlashGear
"Lenka is a beautifully simple iPhone app that gives photos that moody monochrome magic" - The Next Web
"When you fire up Lenka you immediately realise that it’s capable of much more subtle greys and textures than most normal camera apps." - Tech Crunch
"Lenka's simplicity is what makes the app so alluring" - PetaPixel
Fixed bug that caused to crash in iOS 11.
Ratings and Reviews
Simple to use, but not very useful
The app is a camera app that’s limited to sort of black and white. For some reason there’s a slider to tint the desaturated image either blue or orange. This isn’t the same thing (at all) as applying a color filter during conversion to the b&w image (which would have been useful.) The app is super simple, looks like someone’s first attempt at building an app and probably the worst way to convert to b&w. Desaturated images look very unnatural.
Not supporting flash “for creative reasons” is probably because Abosch notoriously uses HMI lighting for his simple portraits, but turning on the LED on the iPhone isn’t quite the same thing as HMI lighting!
Do yourself a favor and just use the regular camera app.
Dedicated B&W camera
Lenka takes black and white photos, you see a live preview and can use sliders to enhance the image. App is what I was looking for - dedicated to B&W.
Doesn’t recognize full screen of iPhone X. And the Delete button does not delete photos from in-app gallery.
Lenka does not show up in Settings > Privacy so GPS/location info is not saved with metadata.
iOS 11 broke it
Loved using this app until iOS 11. It will take one photo then locks up. Tried going to their website to see if there was an easy way to contact them. They do have their email support address there, but it is not a link. You have to copy it and go to your email client and paste and then write them and tell them of your troubles. Then you wait to see if they reply.... still waiting, 5 days and counting.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.