Let It Snow
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Bring a Winter Wonderland to your desktop with Let It Snow's realistic snow fall and get into that festive holiday feeling as snow covers your dock and settles on the currently active window whilst you work.
· Realistic snow fall - using a physics engine
· Snow drifts - that build up at the bottom of the screen
· Snow covered windows - snow settles on the currently active window
· Random flurries of snow - so you'd better wrap up warm
· Melting snow - snow disappears after a period of time
· Gusts of wind - for additional realism
A number of preferences let you control how the snow falls:
· Amount - Decide how much snow you want
· Size - Pick bigger or smaller snow flakes
· Speed - Select faster or slower snow
· Flurries - Choose if you more or less flurries of snow
· Thaw - Set how quickly you want the snow to thaw
· Escape bottom - Toggle between snow escaping from the desktop or building up at the bottom of the screen
· Multicolored - Add a bit of colour to your snow flakes
· Settle on active window - Choose if snow settles on the active window
· Gusts - Choose if you want more or less gusts of wind
The app lives in the system bar, a white star near to the volume control in the top-right of the desktop. Clicking on the white star icon gives you access to the preferences, an option to automatically start Let It Snow when you machine starts and the option to quit the app.
For those with two displays, the snow will fall on what OS X considers the main display.
NOTE: The desktop backgrounds in the screenshots are not distributed with the app.
Let it Snow brings a little bit of winter magic to your Mac!
What's New in Version 1.4
* New Feature: Let It Snow now lives in the status bar (near to the volume control) freeing up dock space
* New Feature: Gusts of wind
* Enhancement: Added more realism to the snow that settles on the active window
* Enhancement: A little more snow
Fun, fun, snow!
If you enjoy snow, this is a fun little app! I’ve sure gotten my $0.99 out of it!. Version 1.3(4) I have no CPU problems with it. I have a 3.4 GHz iMac ... so I don’t know how much differnce that makes. CPU use runs at 2% with most CPU friendly settings, 4% with a lot of snow, fast falling, but no accumulation, and about 9% with everything maxed out! The snow is quite realistic in falling in a number of ways. Each flake follows its own path, so they meander across one another. Flakes fall at different speeds, so flakes pass by one another. Also, when moving slider to larger flakes, smaller ones are still included which gives a sense of depth. Prefs includes sliders for: Amount, Size, Speed, more or less Flurries, and Thaw factor. Choices include: multicolored (confetti looking), Settle on Active Window (not all windows, but on the active one ... and if you close it ... the accumulated snow comes tumbling down!), Escape bottom (accumulation at bottom of screen or not); Escape sides (I dont’ get this one). All in all, I’ve enjoyed it, had no problems with it, and look forward to further developments. Put on a snow scene desktop pic, and enjoy! 4 stars ... very good as it is for the price; but with potential to be even better. I'd buy it again. Here’s to keeping the Mac fun...
Probably the best in it’s category
Just downloaded this and it’s good. Coupled with a winter/Christmas background image it works great to enhance the holiday mood (especially if you don’t get snow where you live). There are a few things to improve on for future versions though. CPU usage is quite high, for what this does. Also, I’d really like to be able to control the direction of the wind and be able to set real snowflake images as textures. The current snow is ok from afar, but close up it looks more like cotton balls than snow. Once you have that ability, you can use different snowflake models with transparent background to make realistic looking snow. The flakes could also spin, rotate and flip, just like real flakes do. Oh, and also an option to not have it snow on top of your windows would be great. The current snow is a bit distracting if you’re trying to work also and not just using your computer as a picture frame. If the makers of this great app did that, I wouldn’t have to get into software development. :)
missing just one convenient thing
I forgot i even had this app and just rediscovered it in launchpad. Had fun with it until i went to quit it. Wish you could do it from the dock by just hitting quit. Took me a minute to find it under the recents option which I thought was odd. Guess i am just too used to quitting from the dock on my apps there. But cute and soothing app. Am in Florida and I miss the beautiful snow.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Nov 07, 2013
- Version: 1.4
- Size: 1.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: ilia language services ltd
- © 2011-2013 ilia Language Services Ltd.
Compatibility: OS X 10.7 or later