Let It Snow
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Bring a Winter Wonderland to your desktop with Let It Snow's realistic snow fall and get into that festive holiday feeling as snow covers your dock and settles on the currently active window whilst you work.
· Realistic snow fall - using a physics engine
· Snow drifts - that build up at the bottom of the screen
· Snow covered windows - snow settles on the currently active window
· Random flurries of snow - so you'd better wrap up warm
· Melting snow - snow disappears after a period of time
· Gusts of wind - for additional realism
A number of preferences let you control how the snow falls:
· Amount - Decide how much snow you want
· Size - Pick bigger or smaller snow flakes
· Speed - Select faster or slower snow
· Flurries - Choose if you more or less flurries of snow
· Thaw - Set how quickly you want the snow to thaw
· Escape bottom - Toggle between snow escaping from the desktop or building up at the bottom of the screen
· Multicolored - Add a bit of colour to your snow flakes
· Settle on active window - Choose if snow settles on the active window
· Gusts - Choose if you want more or less gusts of wind
The app lives in the system bar, a white star near to the volume control in the top-right of the desktop. Clicking on the white star icon gives you access to the preferences, an option to automatically start Let It Snow when you machine starts and the option to quit the app.
For those with two displays, the snow will fall on what OS X considers the main display.
NOTE: The desktop backgrounds in the screenshots are not distributed with the app.
Let it Snow brings a little bit of winter magic to your Mac!
What's New in Version 1.4
* New Feature: Let It Snow now lives in the status bar (near to the volume control) freeing up dock space
* New Feature: Gusts of wind
* Enhancement: Added more realism to the snow that settles on the active window
* Enhancement: A little more snow
Probably the best in it’s category
Just downloaded this and it’s good. Coupled with a winter/Christmas background image it works great to enhance the holiday mood (especially if you don’t get snow where you live). There are a few things to improve on for future versions though. CPU usage is quite high, for what this does. Also, I’d really like to be able to control the direction of the wind and be able to set real snowflake images as textures. The current snow is ok from afar, but close up it looks more like cotton balls than snow. Once you have that ability, you can use different snowflake models with transparent background to make realistic looking snow. The flakes could also spin, rotate and flip, just like real flakes do. Oh, and also an option to not have it snow on top of your windows would be great. The current snow is a bit distracting if you’re trying to work also and not just using your computer as a picture frame. If the makers of this great app did that, I wouldn’t have to get into software development. :)
I like the app….the concept is great. I’d like to see an option to make it a standard screensaver vs. a separate application but I understand the limitations of the screensaver apps and it probably isn’t possible. It doesn’t seem to impact the performance on my 2013 MacBook Air in any way. I put it in my library/startup items so that it launches automatically at boot. I use this during the winter holidays and it adds a nice touch to your OSX desktop! The latest update puts an icon on your menu bar for easy access to preferences and controls.
Love this app
The best winter app I have - absolutely love it. Agreeing with some other posts, it takes about 10% CPU on my 3 year old MBP and WindowServer takes much more. The fan does run constantly, but considering the aesthetics it adds to the computer and winter in general, it’s a very worthwhile trade-off.
Two requests for future - allow more snow pile-up and allow user to select which screens to be operative - my emails could use some snow.
You can’t beat this app for inexpensive winter enjoyment!
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Nov 07, 2013
- Version: 1.4
- Size: 1.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: ilia language services ltd
- © 2011-2013 ilia Language Services Ltd.
Compatibility: OS X 10.7 or later