By Sanoma Media Netherlands B.V.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*Best Younger Children’s App 2013 - KAPi Award
*Reached the TOP 10 of App Store’s Education Category (iPad) in approximately 40 countries
*Listed in US App Store’s EDUCATION COLLECTIONS
*EDITOR’S CHOICE AWARD, Children’s Technology Review
*One of 12 BEST CHILDREN EDUCATIONAL APPS 2012, TeachersWithApps
*BEST EDUCATIONAL GAME, Best App Ever
*BEST EDUCATIONAL APP, About.com
*FAVORITE MOBILE APP FOR HOMESCHOOLERS, About.com
An amazing, intuitive game to learn all about letters and numbers: writing, counting, phonics and more.
WHAT THE EXPERTS SAY
* LetterSchool got lots of accolades from just about everyone (including us!) for being a spectacular app. TWA gives this app a huge shout-out! And, oh yes, this app makes everything cool! TeachersWithApps
* Learning to write letters and numerals will never be the same after a child tries LetterSchool. This app has raised the bar for all letter/numeral recognition apps. Children’s Technology Review
* Top Pick–A very well-done letter-writing app with tons of energy and even some phonics and counting mixed in. Highly recommended. SmartAppsForKids
* Editor’s Favorites–Great concept, overall look and feel, simple operation and navigation, types of activities, great educational value. AppySmarts
* Editor's Choice–A great tool for teaching young children proper handwriting. BestAppsforKids.com
* What a fantastic job these developers did! A handwriting lesson the fun way! This app is a great addition to your kid’s toolbox for life! Certainly this app should be in all preschool and kindergarten classes! BestAppsforKids.org
* We can’t possibly recommend the graphics enough. Simply put, they’re divine. TheiPhoneAppReview.com
* Wow! LetterSchool is a colorful handwriting app that is going to capture your child’s attention. One of the most engaging handwriting apps. TheiPhoneMom.com
* This is a must have app. It is so wonderfully made and will keep children entertained but wanting to come back again and again. iHeartThisApp.com
* I absolutely love this app!!! This is definitely the most amazing writing app of individual letters I've seen yet. I highly highly highly recommend this app. WelcometoTheirWorldApps.blogspot.com
* Your kiddos can learn their letters with LetterSchool and its off-the-hook, awesome set-ups. CafeMom
* Learning a letter on this app is like being on a great party. Every letter is a surprise! Apps4Kids.net
* This app of breathtaking beauty and simplicity is one of the top must-have apps. W. van Bochoven, Educational consultant
* This intelligently designed app will captivate the user through entertaining animations and an easy to navigate interface. UltimateAutismGuide.com
* I have tested out a few letter tracing apps and I give this one the award for the best so far. YourTherapySource
More reviews on LetterSchool.com
HOW IT WORKS
Kids practice essential skills as they play four exciting games per letter/number:
INTRO - discover the letter’s shape, name and sound
TAP - learn where to start, change direction and finish by tapping the dots
TRACE - learn the letter trajectory by tracing it
WRITE - test your knowledge by writing from memory
PLAY TO LEARN…
* how to write letters and numbers
* letter names and sounds
* uppercase and lowercase letters
* manuscript handwriting style
* count to 10
* fine motor skills
* eye-hand coordination
* the foundations of literacy and numeracy
* many awesome games with different learning approaches
* two challenging levels for twice the fun and twice the practice
* impressive free-form writing in advanced level
* highly effective visual and auditory feedback
* stunning graphics, exciting effects and sleek animations
* characters at maximum scale regardless of device orientation
* choice out of three most popular typefaces in handwriting education
* scorekeeping: star-tokens and self-written characters in menu
* progress and settings stored for up to three players
Recommended for ages 3–7
What's New in Version 1.0.2
Bug fix for iPad Air and iPhone 5S.
The app doesn’t crash anymore after selecting a number or letter.
My 2 Year Old’s Opinion - Obsessive Love
So I have a 2 year old who knows his letters (upper and lower case) and most of the phonics associated with it.
Here’s the rub: I don’t think letter ID and sounds at 2 is important at all (I teach kindergarten so I have a skewed word-view). We worry WAY too much about literacy in this culture and start kids way too early. So whereas most parents would be pleased at how “smart” their kid is, I see it more as a scatter skill that brings him great joy.
But hey… who am I to argue with a 2 year old?
Very good, one little problem
This is a great app. Very well designed and fun. My preschooler likes playing and learning with it. My only complaint is that the tolerance for tracing the letters is a bit too tight for my little guy. He traces a letter most of the way but then his finger inevitably wanders off the line just a tiny bit (but he's still basically on target) and the app makes him start over. This frustrates him and he ends up asking me to do it for him. Is there a way to set how "strict" the tracing is? Otherwise, excellent app, highly recommend.
Must have App for preschoolers
So incredibly well done.
1. Need to repeat the names of the letters more. And could use with a rotation of a few more "example" items that feature that letter to keep thing interesting.
2. In landscape mode the bottom of some letters are too close to the second level star.
These are VERY small points on an otherwise awesome App. Worth every penny and beyond. The best App we have for our 2.5 year old.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Dec 02, 2013
- Version: 1.0.2
- Size: 28.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Sanoma Media Netherlands B.V.
- © Sanoma Media Netherlands B.V.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.