Libby, by OverDrive
By OverDrive, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Meet Libby. Did you know your local library has thousands of ebooks and audiobooks? You can borrow them, instantly, for free, using just the device in your hand.
1. Fish out your library card
2. Open the Libby app
3. Find your local library
4. Search, sample, borrow, enjoy
It takes just a few taps to find and borrow a book. Libby has a ground-breaking built-in ebook reader, and a beautiful audiobook player. If you prefer, you can send books to your Kindle for reading.
• Sign in to multiple libraries, with one or more library cards
• Stay signed in for as long as you like
• Download books and audiobooks for offline reading, or stream them to save space
• Sample any book with a tap — nothing to download or delete
• Try a zoomable graphic novel, or a picture book with readalong audio
• All your holds and loans are consolidated on a single shelf
• Tag titles as read, loved, hated, wishlist, schoolbook, beach-reading, whatever you like
• Your loans, holds, reading positions, bookmarks and notes are synchronized automatically across all your devices
• Keep track of your reading history in the Activity tab
Libby is the brand new app from OverDrive Labs. We're trying to simplify and bring joy to every aspect of digital borrowing and reading. If you love it, you can use it instead of the OverDrive app. If you don't love it yet, feel free to keep using the OverDrive app, but check in on Libby from time to time — we're adding features and squashing bugs every day.
What's New in Version 1.2.0
Libby has a new look!
- Wait List information (by popular demand!)
- Borrowing History on title details screen
- Choose a card on the Borrow confirmation screen (if you have multiple cards)
- Clearer explanations when something can't be borrowed or renewed or returned
- Press on an image in a book to zoom into it
- Deeper contrast and darker text for Dark lighting in reader
- Tap audiobook speed button up to 2.0x (swipe down on it for 0.6x to 3.0x)
- Searching for a library by name shows the most relevant branch
- Searching for libraries is more efficient and reliable
- Much simpler "Send to Device" screen
- Device Preferences menu is now at the top level
- Spinnable book covers, just for fun
- Many bugfixes and performance tweaks!
Fantastic! A few suggestions though...
After using OverDrive, I decided to try out Libby since the app looked so much more upgraded, if that's the right word. The interface is absolutely beautiful; borrowing books from the library is easy; and I love how my bookshelf looks more than I liked the one from OverDrive. I only have a couple of suggestions, however. 1) When I'm reading from the iBooks app, one feature I really like about it is the gray scale it uses, along with the day scale, sepia scale, and night mode. It would be absolutely awesome if Libby used this gray scale as well! And 2) I'm not sure if this was just a bug, but once when Libby froze, I had to force quit the app and re-launch it. However, I had to go through the entire "Welcome to Libby, please sign in" screen. For awhile it wasn't letting me sign in with my library card number until I had to start the app over again. It's just a tiny, minor thing, and it might have been just a bug, but I thought it was a bit odd. Nonetheless, I still think this app is awesome, and I'm so glad I downloaded it! You guys have done a fantastic job at designing this app, and it's helped me get back into reading again! So thanks! :)
Libby has a great interface and it's actually quite fun to browse and check stuff out in Libby. I enjoy the multiple ways to interact with the playback controls when listening to an audiobook. I also use the OverDrive app, which doesn't seem to be as thoughtfully or frequently updated, and it has a few more advanced features that Libby doesn't. It's nice to have them both as an option — but I absolutely prefer Libby! Great work by the developers and designers.
One minor issue: I spent 10-15 frustrating minutes looking for a way to filter a search by or simply review all my tagged items in the "Library" view (even tried the "tips and tricks" for guidance but didn't find any help there)... it wasn't until I had given up and gone back to my "Shelf" view to read a book that I realized I could see tagged items there. It's not intuitive to look for my "to read" tag amongst the "shelf" of things I'm already reading, but I can live with it. Would've been helpful if the "tips and tricks" on tagging had pointed me there in the first place.
I tried this app once before and found it a bit hard to get used to after using Overdrive for so long, but recently gave it another try, as I think they are still working on it.
I really like the ease of switching between libraries, doing searches, and now the great long lists of recommendations by theme. Wonderful way to find new books you may not have seen before.
Another feature I like is the ability to add books to my TBR list, upvote or downvote a book. Keep up the good work.
I never had trouble with Overdrive working properly, but like the new look of this so will probably use this instead. Very colorful and cheery.
- Category: Books
- Updated: Aug 01, 2017
- Version: 1.2.0
- Size: 15.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: OverDrive, Inc.
- © 2017 OverDrive, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.