Meet Libby. Did you know your local library has thousands of ebooks and audiobooks? You can borrow them, instantly, for free, using just the device in your hand.
1. Fish out your library card
2. Open the Libby app
3. Find your local library
4. Search, sample, borrow, enjoy
It takes just a few taps to find and borrow a book. Libby has a ground-breaking built-in ebook reader, and a beautiful audiobook player. If you prefer, you can send books to your Kindle for reading.
• Sign in to multiple libraries, with one or more library cards
• Stay signed in for as long as you like
• Download books and audiobooks for offline reading, or stream them to save space
• Sample any book with a tap — nothing to download or delete
• Try a zoomable graphic novel, or a picture book with readalong audio
• All your holds and loans are consolidated on a single shelf
• Tag titles as read, loved, hated, wishlist, schoolbook, beach-reading, whatever you like
• Your loans, holds, reading positions, bookmarks and notes are synchronized automatically across all your devices
So much is new in Libby!
* The Shelf Summary view displays the most important information across your loans, holds, tags and activities.
* Borrow and place holds on the same title at multiple libraries.
* Track your reading progress for every loan on your shelf.
* Borrow directly from your tags list.
* When searching your library, jump to any page of results by tapping on the page divider.
* We've simplified the display of wait list information.
* We've fixed several bugs that occasionally cropped up when opening (and reopening) your books and audiobooks.
* Every aspect of the app has been given a touch of polish.
We have big plans for the year ahead! Let us know your thoughts in the app: Menu => Help & Support.
Ratings and Reviews
Used for a year now—fantastic with some minor quibbles
Pros: My reading has skyrocketed since using this app—Libby makes books so accessible, especially since I have a busy schedule and hard time stopping by the library. I have saved SO much money by using Libby, and have tried out more genres than I normally do, since you don’t waste a trip to the library getting a new book: simply tap to download and tap to return if you don’t like it. The waitlist system is very clear, browsing is easy, and a sizable catalog make this very much worth it.
Cons: Libby loses one star for some basic syncing and history issues. If I delete Libby off my device (sometimes I get rid of it when I’m busy and I don’t want to be tempted with a quick read!), when I redownload it, I lose all history of what books I’ve previously checked out and read. When you tag books, eg “To Read”, these tags are NOT synced across devices. I now have a motley “To Read” list spread across my phone and iPad. Likewise, these lists are lost if you remove the app off your local device. I’ve emailed Libby twice to request these be synced across devices and no luck yet.
Overall still a wonderful app and love how it makes reading yet more accessible. A TIP for readers—if practical, try to get multiple library cards for nearby areas. It opens up a larger catalog of books for you to read, and a waitlisted book in one library may be immediately available in another. :)
I’ve only browsed one ebook sample but have listened to several audiobooks and the interface is leaps and bounds better than Hoopla and OverDrive.
Cons: I’d give it a 5th star if the sleep timer for audiobooks had more than the 30 minute option (custom timer would be best along with 15 minute intervals up to an hour, then 30 minute intervals thereafter), the UI colors could be customized (at the least a dark mode, but I’d also like to change the blurred background color for audiobooks while in landscape mode), and I could customize my library card color tags/icons? (a minor gripe but two of my cards are too similar in color). I’m also not a fan of the settings menu but I can’t put my finger on why right now...
Pros: The book layout is great (Hoopla doesn’t even do landscape or two page mode🤬). As a whole, the Libby interface puts books at your fingertips quickly and offers a sleek & modern yet minimalist design that appeals to the eyes. The sort/refine/preferences works well although an ability to sort series by order in the series both ascending and descending is missing. The ability to sync Libby across multiple devices is FANTASTIC (again, looking at you Hoopla) and saves the hassle of logging in on each device and manually downloading each book (again, Hoopla, sup?). The audio/book sample feature (Hoopla comeon!) is conveniently placed, as is the book sample, review, and jacket information.
Good app, always improving
Have really enjoyed Libby since it’s debut. Much smoother and more user friendly than Overdrive app. They keep coming out with updates that (usually) offer improvements and enhancements. Sometimes the changes take a little while to adjust to, but since this is my go to app for library audiobooks and ebooks, I can usually get use to it quickly.
Couple of improvements would make it 5 star. 1) Allow deselect to filter categories. For instance, if I’m looking for a mystery novel, but want to exclude the historical genre and keep everything else, the app doesn’t allow that. So you either have to open the book and find out it’s not what you want or select and search each sub-genre one by one. Very tedious!
2) Sync Tags across all devices.
3) Allow customization of new Shelf “home” screen. Maybe I don’t care about my recently returned items and don’t want that section on the page. Or I want to see the last two books I’ve opened at the top, rather than just one. Or at the very least let us choose if we want to start on the Shelf page or go directly to the Loan page when Libby opens. How this new Shelf is organized doesn’t make sense to me and there is zero flexibility.
Overall though, really good app that the developers have clearly worked hard at.
Developer Response ,
We've squashed this bug now. Let us know at email@example.com if you see any similar problems. Thanks for the report!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.