LibreOffice Vanilla is a powerful office productivity application consisting of Writer (word processing), Calc (spreadsheets), Impress (presentations), Draw (vector graphics and flowcharts), Base (databases), and Math (formula editing).
It can also open and edit text documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and drawings created in a large number of other applications like OpenOffice, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Visio, WordPerfect, Quattro Pro, Lotus 1-2-3, AutoCAD. Even documents created in historical applications such as MacWrite and ClarisWorks can be opened.
LibreOffice Vanilla is based directly on the LibreOffice source code from The Document Foundation. It is recommended for users who want the convenience of installing from the App Store and getting automatic updates, compared to manually downloading and installing from The Document Foundation.
Thank you for supporting LibreOffice by buying LibreOffice Vanilla. We donate 10% of the proceeds to The Document Foundation, and invest the rest into improving LibreOffice specifically for Mac users.
(Note that features implemented in Java are not present.)
Several important functionality, stability, and security bugfixes. See links for 6.1.5 on the page https://www.libreoffice.org/download/release-notes/ .
Ratings and Reviews
Downloaded the new Vanilla version thinking it would be an improvement. I spent an hour on a project only to find out that this version will only allow me to print my document in Landscape format. I have gone through every menue option in this program and even though you click on Portrait, you still get Landscape. Another glitch is that it does not insert a period after double spacing with the space bar. Also, what did you do with all your nifty templates. Most of the letter, resume, envelope, etc. templates have disappeared.
I was able to open the older version and print my document just fine. I did notice that the above mentioned templates no longer exist in the older version now either. Too bad, they were handy at times.
As far as my continued use of your LibreOffive Vanilla version….I done with it. I’ll go back to the older version.
Landscape Printing Only
I really wanted to love this program and I am still using it to some extent until I find a better solution for my needs, but there are two things I haven’t liked...
The major issue:
- The program only prints in Landscape orientation. This is regardless of changing the print settings in the program itself or on the printer settings. Even telling the program to use the printer’s settings instead of the programs results in landscape printing. There is a workaround to this: exporting your document to a PDF and then printing the PDF, but that is an annoying process to simply test print a page or two to review.
A much less significant problem:
- I am not a big fan of the spellcheck options within the program. It highlights a mispelled word with a red squiggle (just as Microsoft Word does), but you cannot right click the individual word to tell the program to ignore the spelling or choose the correct option. Instead you must run the spellcheck from the top menu in order to check the document in total. This is a minor detail, but when you become accustomed to simple, quick fixes this makes the program feel clunky and inefficient.
This needs A LOT of work
I’ve used OpenOffice for years and this is atrocious. Whoever’s name is attached to this program should really talk to the project lead to take this off until they can iron out the bugs. Have conditional formating you need to use? Forget it. It’s so buggy you have to find a random cell that you have never used to not only create a new condition but also edit any that you have already created, otherwise it continually kicks you back to the conditions management popup. Want to apply a condition in multiple columns with a cell range? Hahaha no. I actually managed to break and crash it because it couldn’t handle minimal conditions. Colors get stuck, I’ve had to completely close out the program so it formatted the cells properly. Come on guys, I know this is your free version but jeez...
- Collabora Productivity Ltd
- 660.5 MB
- OS X 10.9.0 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Collabora Productivity Ltd
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.