lichess • Free Online Chess
By thibault duplessis
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Built for the love of chess, this app is open source and free for all.
- 150 000 individual users daily and growing fast.
- Play bullet, blitz, classical, and correspondence chess
- Play in arena tournaments
- Find, follow, challenge players
- See your games stats
- Practice with chess puzzles
- Many variants, available online and offline: Crazyhouse, Chess 960, King Of The Hill, Three-check, Antichess, Atomic chess, Horde, Racing Kings!
- Game analysis with local computer evaluation
- Server computer analysis with move annotations and game summary
- Opening explorer
- Play against offline computer
- Over The Board mode to play offline with a friend
- Standalone chess clock with multiple time settings
- Board editor
- Available in 80 languages
- Designed for both phones and tablets, supporting landscape mode
- 100% free, without ads, and opensource!
Chess variants are supported! Try them all:
- Crazyhouse: every time a piece is captured the capturing player gets a piece of the same type and of their color in their pocket.
- Chess960: pieces on the home rank are randomised.
- King Of The Hill: bring your king to the center to win.
- Threecheck: check the opponent king three times.
- Antichess: lose all your pieces to win.
- Atomic Chess: nuke the opponent.
- Horde: destroy the horde to win.
- Racing Kings: Race your king to the eighth rank to win.
Just like http://lichess.org, this application is open source, and respects user freedom. It is entirely free and without ads, now and forever.
Learn more about lichess philosophy: http://lichess.org/blog/U4skkUQAAEAAhIGz/why-is-lichess-free
Source code of the mobile application: https://github.com/veloce/lichobile
Source code of the website and server: https://github.com/ornicar/lila
Donations help keep the servers alive: http://lichess.org/donate
Big thanks to the volunteers behind this app:
- Vincent Velociter (lead dev) https://github.com/veloce
- Renaud Bressand (design) https://twitter.com/RenaudBressand
- Thibault Duplessis (dev) https://github.com/ornicar
- Sebastien Renault (dev of stockfish plugin) https://github.com/srenault
- Mark Henle (dev) https://github.com/freefal
Check out the app page on http://lichess.org/mobile, and follow us on twitter for updates: https://twitter.com/lichessorg
What's New in Version 4.8.0
- AI and analysis now handle crazyhouse and antichess variants, in both online and offline modes
- Variant selector in empty analysis screen
- Atomic endgame tablebase
- Better import feature: imported games are now saved and you can ask for an analysis
- Spectator chat
- Push notification warning when time is low in a correspondence game
- Link to reset password page
- Endgame positions in board editor
- OTB board coordinates on both sides
- Analysis do not get stuck anymore
- Fix detection of server disconnection during online play
- Other bug fixes in analysis screen
I am so glad I found this place. This incredible App offers more than I ever had in 13 years playing on numerous chess sites combined; some of which were paid memberships just to get classical chess. Here I have classical Plus several variations including 960, my favorite. Easy navigation. The design is very pretty and lets you personalize board and pieces with beautiful themes. Thank You!
It's free and has a large player base. Free tactics are a plus! I would like to see push notification badges work for iOS. It would also be nice to eventually have the study material from the main site accessible on the mobile version.
Lichess is free ND packed with features that have helped me grow as a player. Every day I have multiple games running with friends that I can play on the computer and continue on the app.
Every update brings community suggested implementation and fixes that keep pace with the rapid development of this app.
It's everything I could hope to have after donating, and it surpasses every other app.
Make sure to review it after using it to boost it in the app store!