Lightning Cast - Push Notifications, Alerts, NOAA Weather Radar
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Instantly know when lightning has struck near you or any of your saved locations via push-notification. Open the app on your iPhone or iPad to see when and where lightning has struck on a stunning hi-def radar map.
Lightning Cast has subscription based pricing, see options below.
- See lightning strikes in near real-time on a fluid and fast loading animated hi-def map
- Add location bookmarks on the map for your important places
- Push notifications for lightning strikes near bookmarked locations
- Can adjust notification radius up to 200 miles from each bookmarked location
- NWS (National Weather Service) severe weather warning boxes on map with alert details
- Hourly forecast for the next 24 hours, as well as 5 day forecast for any location
- Portrait/Landscape views on iPhone and iPad, fully supported at full-screen
- Get fast support from within the app
- The initial purchase gets you the lightning data and notifications for 3 months.
- After the first 3 months are over, you can purchase a subscription renewal to continue to get notifications.
- 3 months for $1.99
- 1 year for $6.99
IMPORTANT: When you install and launch for the first time, the app will ask to turn on push-notifications. Please choose YES to avoid having to manually enable it later.
Coverage Note: This app is only useful for users in the lower 48 states. Accuracy is not sufficient for users in Alaska, Hawaii, Guam or Puerto Rico.
What's New in Version 2.0
Your trusted Lightning Alert ally has been updated for severe weather season! This update brings a ton of new features, all packaged in a great design.
A sampling of what's been added:
- Much faster display of lighting strikes on map!
- Hourly forecast for the next 24 hours
- Swipe through forecasts for all your bookmarked locations
- Live pressure for current location on devices with a barometer sensor
- Beautiful, customized backgrounds for your city
- Temperature specific “Feels Like” icons
- An updated collection of awesome map icons for marking your locations!
Alerts me AT MOST 30% of the time, despite settings being correct
This app started out great. I have a horse farm in an area where summer storms occur daily, and for about a week I thought I'd found a great solution to the issue of knowing exactly when and where lightning was striking nearby. Then it stopped alerting me. For three days I never received an alert, even during storms that were on top of my farm. I of course checked and rechecked all my settings, both in the app and on my phone. I emailed support and their advice was to "turn up the volume." I wrote back to say that of course I had checked that, but that the app simply wasn't working. Their response was to thank me for my feedback and tell me they're always working to improve the app. Yeah, great, good to know. But not even a little bit helpful. So, unless it miraculously starts working again before my first month's subscription runs out, I'm afraid I'll be canceling and deleting this app.
In addition to the lack of alerts, I also find that there's quite a delay between when lightning strikes and when the app registers it. I also use WeatherBug, which has a light in feature, and when a storm is moving my way, that app consistently shows lightning closer to me than LightningCast. WeatherBug doesn't do push notifications, but since LightningCast doesn't always do that either, I'm sticking with WeatherBug for now.
I love this app, it tells me when there is lightning in my area and it can be a life saver if u don't even know it's going to rain. The only few reasons why I gave it four stars is because sometimes the distance will be off or detect lightning far too close. One time it told me lightning struck within 0.8 miles of me and I heard a loud rumble but not crackling as it would be that close. Also about a week ago, a storm hit. The alerts were working great but then about an hour after the storm left, I got an alert for lightning 7 miles to the west(where the storms usually come in) and there was nothing on the radar and barely a cloud in the sky. But other than a few flaws, it works great. Really helps when I'm asleep and at 4:00am I'll hear my alert go off so I can get my dog inside and set my cameras up to video it. Love the app
Very good app. Issue with not showing lightning resolved?
When this app is working it is quite accurate and gives you customized notifications which are easy to set. Radar is good too. There seems to be some type of glitch where the Lightning is not shown. For me I think I this happened when I renewed but not completely sure. I then uninstalled and re-installed the application but it still was not working. However today when I checked it is working for me. Not sure if they updated something on the server end but it is working as it once did.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Weather
- Updated: May 15, 2015
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 22.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: WeatherSphere
- © 2013 WeatherSphere
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Also Included In
Top In-App Purchases
- Lightning Strike Notifications 1 Year$6.99
- Lightning Strike Notifications - 3 months$1.99