Lightning Cast - Push Notifications, Alerts, NOAA Weather Radar
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The only app in the appstore that instantly alerts you via push-notification whenever there is a lightning strike near any of your designated places. CAUTION: First 3 months are included in purchase price. After 3 months subscription must be manually renewed, see below.
Important: When you install and launch for the first time, the app will ask to turn on push-notifications. Please choose YES to avoid the hassle of having to manually enable it later.
- See lightning strikes in near real-time on a fluid animated hi-def radar map
- Add location bookmarks on the map for your important places
- Get a push-notification whenever lightning strikes near a bookmark within the radius you have specified!
- You can choose anywhere from 1 mile all the way upto 200 miles for notification radius, individually per location bookmark
- NWS severe weather warning boxes on map with alert details
- Check weather + forecast for any point on map
- Choose from Hi-Def Radar or Cloud Cover animated map overlays
- Portrait/Landscape: iPad, iPhone, iPod, iPhone5 fully supported at full-screen
- Get fast support from within the app
Lightning strike locations are shown with full accuracy on the map throughout the contiguous lower 48 states, regardless of distance from your location.
- The initial purchase gets you lightning data and notifications for 3 months.
- After the first 3 months are over, you must purchase a subscription renewal to get notifications.
- Renewal options are either 3 months for $1.99, or 1 Year for $6.99.
- This app is only useful for users in the lower 48 states. Accuracy is not sufficient for users in Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, Puerto Rico.
Great app, pricy service.
I really appreciate this app. It helps to keep me safe when I'm swimming in the pool, especially when I'm home alone. I can set it to go off when lightning strikes a certain distance from the house. For those summer days in Florida when we have lightning/thunder almost all afternoon, this is especially helpful to let me know when it actually gets close enough to be dangerous. However, I do have a slight problem with the cost of the service. I purchased this app having already purchased a radar/weather app by the same company. That app used to provide lightning information, but once the service expired, I had to buy this new app to get the lightning service, and have to pay a fee every few months or at least once a year. All these costs add up quickly. Furthermore I don't really want or need two separate apps.
Skeptical at first, but after using for a month HAPPY!
I don't give out 5 star reviews often, unless earned, and this app certainly proves itself daily with very accurate location data of lightning strikes. I am a USAF Safety Manager and use this app to make predictions and verifications of lightning within the area surrounding our airfield which provide flight crews the "Go" "No Go" prior to mission flights. I also use it to verify lighting strikes within our Munitions Storage Areas and notify Ammo personnel of impending strikes within their AOR (Area Of Responsibility). Although difficult to prove, I believe this app has saved lives when used correctly.
My above statement and review in no way represents an endorsement by the USAF and is simply my own opinion on the program and how it has worked for me.
Lightning started a wildfire that was headed in our direction, putting us at Level 2 evacuation. This App alerted us of another lightning storm coming our way. It's very accurate. One thing I found helpful is sometimes you get too zoomed in to an area, like your neighborhood, and your screen doesn't show any radar stuff like green where it's raining or the orange lightning strikes, then you need to zoom out so your entire State is in view and then you'll see the lightning bolts that you can click on.
- Category: Weather
- Released: May 08, 2013
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 5.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: WeatherSphere
- © 2013 WeatherSphere
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Also Included In
Top In-App Purchases
- Lightning Strike Notifications 1 Year$6.99
- Lightning Strike Notifications - 3 months$1.99