LinguaBrowse is the ultimate web browser for reading foreign-language native materials. It supports over 30 languages, offering the following tools:
• TAP-TO-DEFINE: Look up word definitions in a popup dictionary with a single tap. Bilingual dictionaries are available for a wide variety of language pairs.
• TAP-TO-SPEAK: Hear how words sound (via text-to-speech) with a single tap.
• VOCABULARY LIST: Automatically build a vocabulary list of any words you find yourself needing to define.
• TRANSCRIPTIONS: See how to pronounce words, for languages that don't use Roman characters (eg. Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Russian, and more).
• DEFINE SUB-WORDS: For compound words (eg. German compound nouns), define any sub-word.
• NORMALISE FORM: Look up the definition for a word either as-is, or via its dictionary form (where available) for more reliable results.
You can also show/hide transcriptions (to test your comprehension), adjust text size (eg. if Chinese characters are too small), and disable links (to define words embedded in a link). Web pages visited in Safari can also be shared directly to LinguaBrowse.
• Visit the "Developer Website" URL to get in contact about bugs/feature requests via social media.
• Visit the "App Support" URL to see documentation on how to configure LinguaBrowse correctly for your language of choice.
Reviews are of course greatly appreciated, and bug reports are of great use to improving LinguaBrowse (I can't find all the bugs by myself!).
"Living in a foreign country and doing plenty of reading in my second language is quite challenging for me, but this app has helped me a lot from menu to newspaper reading..." – yqiiil
"This is a great app. I've been looking for something like this for my phone to keep up on my Chinese reading comp. It's so convenient to have the pinyin on for words I have forgotten!" – phebebaba
LinguaBrowse requires a paid subscription, and subscriptions cannot currently be shared across platforms (i.e. mobile and desktop versions will require separate plans). Monthly and yearly subscription plans are offered, each including a fully-functional one-month trial. They are called "1-Month Plan (1-month trial)" and "12-Month Plan (1-month trial)" respectively, in English localisation; and may have corresponding translated names in other localisations. Pricing in other countries or territories may vary and charges may be converted to your local currency.
If you choose to purchase a subscription for LinguaBrowse, payment will be charged to your iTunes account, and your account will be charged for renewal 24 hours prior to the end of the current period; the charge will be as described by the product. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your Account Settings in the iTunes Store after purchase.
After your LinguaBrowse free trial ends, your account will be charged unless your subscription is cancelled more than 24 hours before the end of your trial period. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited upon subscription purchase.
PERMISSIONS AND LICENCES
• To see usage licences for the text samples in the App Store® promotional media, visit the "App Support" URL.
• To see usage licences for the LinguaBrowse logo, visit the "Developer Website" URL.
• Dictionary definitions shown in the App Store® promotional media are used with written permission from the Oxford Dictionaries API team.
• For all other licences (eg. technical), visit the 'Licenses' page in-app, or go directly to: http://birchlabs.co.uk/linguabrowse/infopages/licenses.html
LinguaBrowse respects your privacy. See our policy for details: https://birchlabs.co.uk/linguabrowse/infopages/privacy.html
TERMS OF SERVICE
– automatically build lists of any difficult words encountered
– search & delete entries
– get definitions in-app
– sync across iOS devices
– export vocab list to CSV for flashcard study
Ratings and Reviews
This is a great app. I've been looking for something like this for my phone to keep up on my Chinese reading comp. It's so convenient to have the pinyin on for words I have forgotten!
- James Birch
- 222.7 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2017-2018 Jamie Birch
- In-App Purchases
- 1-Month Plan (1-month trial) $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.