By Esa Helttula
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Long Division app has been featured by Apple in "New & Noteworthy", "Math - Numbers & Operations", and in "Math Apps for Middle School". Educational App Review (iear.org): "This app is fantastic!!"
The Long Division app can be used to teach and study the long division method. Solving long division problems is also excellent subtraction and times tables practice. The app is easy to use and it has an intuitive interface with customizable colors and other settings. The user can solve custom and random division problems with small and large numbers.
Educational App Review (iear.org): Purpose, program functionality and overall educational value are all rated A.
Endorsed by Teachers
R. Zeni, Ecole Sandy Hill Elementary, Abbotsford, BC, Canada:
"The Math apps by Esa Helttula allow students to practice and reinforce the specific computation strategies taught in class, with as much or as little scaffolding as necessary. I am so glad to have come across this great educational tool!"
"The Long Division app is very clear and very useful."
Education Apps Review, www.iear.org:
"This app is fantastic!! My third graders loved learning with this app! It has infinite enriching and differentiating possibilities, as the students can select easier or more challenging types of problems."
"My 5th Grader is learning long division and sometimes working through the problems step by step is confusing to her. So you can imagine how excited I AM with this app, named Long Division, that translates long division into a color coordinated step by step process and has a number key pad so that the student can input their numbers every step of the way. Then, the numbers slide from the problem, into their proper place in the problem. Very visual and memorable!"
"It’s almost like having a teacher in the palm of your hand.."
The Long Division Method
In arithmetic, long division is the standard procedure suitable for dividing numbers. The method breaks down a division problem into a series of easier steps.
Easy to Use
The app allows the user to solve a long division problem step by step and animates all the steps. In the steps the user will divide, multiply or subtract. The correct answer will fly to the right place. If the user presses the wrong button the answer will appear above the keyboard but it will not move.
- The dividend can have 1 - 5 digits
- The divisor can have 1 - 3 digits
- Remainders can be allowed or disallowed
- The dividend and divisor can have decimals and the decimals can have leading zeroes
- The app will place zeros in order to extend the division to the next decimal place, if needed
- The divisor can be bigger than the dividend
- The current operation for each step can be hidden
- The operands for the current operation can be highlighted
- There are 3 different themes: black, white and sepia
- The speed of the animations can be set
- Numbers to divide can be generated randomly or entered manually
- Works in portrait and landscape orientation on the iPad
- Open worksheets of up to 10 problems that are made on the iDevBooks.com site
Other iDevBooks math apps
iDevBooks math apps have been reviewed and endorsed by Wired.com, IEAR.org, Edudemic.com, Teachers with Apps, and other respected sites and organizations.
Some of the other 24 iDevBooks math apps are Column Addition, Column Subtraction, Long Multiplication, Lattice Multiplication, Visual Multiplication Table, Fraction Math, Partial Differences Subtraction, Partial Quotients Division, Partial Sums Addition, Decimal Rounding, etc.
Feedback and requests for new features
New ideas to make this app better are welcome. Please visit idevbooks.com to give feedback.
This app has no ads or in-app purchases and it does not transmit any data during the operation of the app. This app also does not contain any links to other apps or the web.
What's New in Version 5.0
- open worksheets from app (new worksheets can be made on the iDevBooks.com site)
- support for iOS 10.0
- support for shared iPad in school environments
For more information about worksheets and other new features of this version please visit idevbooks.com. Please also get in contact if you have any feedback or you want information about 32 iDevBooks math apps.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Feb 15, 2017
- Version: 5.0
- Size: 3.6 MB
- Languages: English, Finnish, Spanish
- Seller: Esa Helttula
- © Esa Helttula
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.