The new edition of the best-selling Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English is a complete vocabulary and grammar resource that will enhance your learning of English.
● Support for iOS7 to iOS9
● Works with new generation iPads, iPhones, and iPods.
The Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English (6th Edition) © 2015
Now with integrated Grammar, Thesaurus, and Collocations Dictionary.
Improve your English with the full content of the dictionary at your fingertips:
● 165,000 corpus-based examples of natural English show words in context and how English is really used.
● 230,000 words, phrases, and meanings – more than any other learner's dictionary.
Easy to use – easy to understand
● Definitions written using a vocabulary of just 2,000 words – the Longman Defining Vocabulary, ensuring all definitions are clear and easy to understand.
Expand your vocabulary
● Frequency information on the most common words – the new Longman Communication 9000 – helps you learn them first.
● Words from the Academic Word List highlighted to help you improve your essays and presentations.
Write and speak fluently
● An integrated Collocations Dictionary with more than 65,000 collocations: learn word combinations to use the correct words together, such as ‘take a test’ (not ‘make a test’), ‘heavy rain’ (not ‘strong rain’), and ‘highly successful’.
● The integrated Thesaurus with more than 18,000 synonyms, antonyms, and related words helps you improve your writing by using more precise and high level words: stop saying ‘nice’, instead, say ‘lovely, delightful, enjoyable, wonderful, brilliant’.
● Register Notes on the differences between spoken and written English help you express yourself precisely.
Improve your grammar
● Avoid making common mistakes and get extra help with grammar patterns and using the correct tenses.
Improve your pronunciation
● All headwords pronounced in both British and American English
● All example sentences pronounced in either British or American English (via external links)
All this makes the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English the largest resource of English available on any mobile platform.
● Full content of the print dictionary
● PLUS additional collocations, synonyms, and word origins
● Guide on how to use the dictionary
● Search using wildcards and suggested words
● Predictive text in search helps you with spelling as you look for words
● Search for idioms and phrasal verbs
● Search history to help you find recently searched for words
● Support for search from within other compatible apps on your device
● Universal app for iPod, iPhone, and iPad
● Fully detailed color Retina Display images
● Bookmark your favorite words
● Copy words and text to clipboard
● Word-of-the-Day notifications
● New design and improved navigation
● Adjustable font scaling to support visually impaired users
● Saved bookmarks will be updated in a forthcoming release
The ultimate learner's resource of the English language for use anywhere, anytime.
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, Sixth Edition (LDOCE6)
© Pearson Education Limited 2009, 2015
- various bugfixes
Ratings and Reviews
The best EFL/ESL dictionary
Most recent update:
Turns out deleting/reinstalling the app solves the problem for iPhone X.
This is the best ESL/EFL dictionary (that is, its contents). The app, however, is subpar. No updates for a year, and it’s not optimized for iPhone X.
Update: I think we should be able to (globally) customize what all entries should look like, so that if I need examples or collocations I wouldn't have to tap buttons all the time.
Second, even though the app runs well on both my iPhone (6s plus) and iPad Pro, it doesn't look good on the iPad Pro. I'd appreciate if you could release an update for the iPad Pro, and not just in the landscape mode. Honestly, I don't quite like the landscape mode.
Finally, a suggestion to lexicographers of LDOCE. Please make sure all lemmas have at least one full-sentence example. This feature is critical to L2 English learners.
Previous review: I have virtually all the dictionary apps but LDOCE-6 is the best. Well-chosen examples, with audio, lots of useful information (collocations, thesaurus, frequency, etymology). Most importantly, this dictionary is the result of careful, corpus-based research done by professional lexicographers and not some easily googlable free stuff hastily put together. Strongly recommend to serious learners of English.
Improvement and my 2 suggestions
Suggestion 1. It is too hard to access the word information, verb table, and thesaurus, which are all hidden under the "i" button. Those information are so useful, and the design makes me feel inconvenient in comparison to the LDOCE5. I suggest to move those information to the very top of the interface.
Suggestion 2. The status bar is all-black when using the app. At least shows the time and the battery.
Other than these, I think this app is pretty robust. But before you fix it, I will still suggest others to stay on LDOCE5.
What’s your plan for wasting people’s money
I had LDOCE+ although it was expensive, worked great. After two years I found you have new one LDOCE 6 from the point that I thought you may solve the problems, I bought it but what and where is the payoff not only don’t you have anything better even worse. Font is ugly verbs’ tables are eliminated and even the worst you don’t manage to find some words like nitpick. What have you done? you may plan to make longman dictionary one of the poorest and the worst one or make fun of your software or call into question your reputation. What you do is not good believe or not you have done wrong.
- Pearson Education Limited
- 636 MB
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 1978-2015 Pearson Education Limited
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.