Looking4Cache is a app with a wide set of functions around the fascinating hobby geocaching. With direct access to over two million geocaches on Groundspeak´s Geocaching platform you can search for a box nearly everywhere.
In seconds you can store geocaches including all informations like the last logs, the waypoints and the images to your device over the direct API access (for this please read the annotation on the bottom). Or you can import a gpx file or a pocket query. All data will be stored on your device for offline usage.
Log your founds with images and trackables instantly or after your trip in the app. You can upload fieldnotes to the geocaching website too. And this not only for you but also for your complete team.
One of the highlights of Looking4Cache are the offline maps from OpenStreetMap like you found nowhere else. Choose and download the maps including contour lines directly in the app and use them in dead spots or in foreign countries without roaming costs. You can download whole states or complete countries.
With the ability to cache completely offline your battery will be conserved. To save more power the GPS accuracy will be switched based on the distance to your next target.
Here a list of the key functions:
- through the Geocaching Live API
- load Pocket Queries
- import own GPX and GGZ files
- Live Map: See surrounding caches
- GCVote integration
- Supports corrected Coordinates and pers. Notes
- add Geocaches to lists
- use a lot of filers and sorts
- swipe a cache to build lists for your next trip
- Offline topo vector maps
- Online OpenStreetMap, OpenCycleMap, MapQuest, Bing
- Online Apple Maps
- Send coordinates to other navigation apps
- for multiple users
- with a log draft
- log Travelbugs, with auto-visit too
- save logs locally
- Create and send GPX files
Integration in iOS:
- search for GC-Codes in Safari
- open GPX files from mail
Attention: To access the geocaches you need a user on Groundspeak´s Geocaching plattform (.com). According to your membership type the amount of data is restricted. Basic Members could load 3 full cache descriptions per day and up to 6000 basic descriptions. As a Basic Member the geocache search is restricted to traditional caches. To get full access and use all functions of this app you should have a premium account.
Attention: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
This version contains some small improvements and preparations for new iPhone models. Please support L4C by writing a review or update your rating.
- Adoption of the iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR screen sizes.
- The geocaching user profile can be opened. For this, make a long tap on a geocachers name.
- Safari Extension works fine again. Changes to the website have been taken into account.
- GDPR page can be accepted on all iPads.
Ratings and Reviews
With Geosphere no longer supported on iOS 11, I took another look at caching apps. No app does all what Geosphere offered, but after trying them all I think the pro version of this app is the best.
I like the hillshade option for offline vector maps. The interface takes a little getting used to, but it has a nice display that is focused on the maps. The color scheme is far better than some of its competitors. It does a lot and does it better than anything out there (excepting Geosphere).
My go to caching app
Still my favorite caching app, and I have & tried them all! Great for the power user & occasional cacher alike.
Great app, a few flaws
This app is awesome. It's made geocaching logging very easy, and with multiple people, it's really easy to log everyone's finds. I use it on my iPad and it's great.
It would be even better if the compass worked, all version seem to point in the incorrect direction, fortunately the distance away works. It would be great to be able to search for geocaches by owner name--something I've yet to get working with any version. I'd also like to filter be last found, similar to how you can search groundspeak for caches found within 7 days.
That said, it's still a great app. Would be even more usable with the mentioned fixes.
- Looking4Cache UG (haftungsbeschraenkt)
- 39.2 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2018 Looking4Cache UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
- In-App Purchases
- Hillshades $0.99
- GSAK Import $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.