LuckGrib is a fully featured, easy to use, fast GRIB reader, viewer and downloader
LuckGrib comes with a 14 day free trial. If you are interested in studying weather and gaining access to detailed weather forecasts, download the app and give it a try
LuckGrib uses beautiful and fast graphics to give you insight and understanding into how the weather and ocean conditions will change through a forecast as well as showing you the details of what happens at any location
Weather forecast data, packaged as GRIB files, can be downloaded directly from the LuckGrib server cluster. Downloads from the server cluster are fast - you can easily explore the weather world wide using some of the best weather models available
All direct high-speed internet data downloads are free. You have immediate access to over 30 weather and ocean models
Weather models are available which contain surface conditions, wave and swell state, ocean currents as well as higher altitude information such as that found at the 850mb, 500mb and 250mb levels - these levels correspond to the low cloud level or jet stream, for example. Some of the models available are: GFS, GDPS, CMC, WW3, HRRR, RAP, NAM, NDFD, Icon-EU, Arpège, Arome, OpenWRF, RTOFS
Check the support site for additional information regarding model availability. Short videos are also available, as are tutorials and other information
"The LuckGrib viewer is elegant, fast, and functional.... a must have app for all sailors using Macs for weather work."
—David Burch, Director of Starpath School of Navigation and author of Modern Marine Weather.
"LuckGrib…is a huge step forward in both functionality and ease of use when compared to anything else I have used."
— John Harries, Attainable Adventure Cruising.
• download your data directly from the LuckGrib server cluster
• download data using the Offshore Data service via email or some satellite setups
• download weather and ocean data from models created by NOAA, Environment Canada, Météo-France, Deutscher Wetterdienst (DWD) in Germany and OpenWRF
• both global and regional models are available
• high resolution GRIB models are supported and displayed on their native grid (you see the actual model data, not a processed version where there is room for error)
• ensemble models have support for standard deviation and other information
• smooth transitions and animation show how the weather or ocean conditions evolve through a forecast
• instantly updated graphical and textual information as you interact with the weather models
• graphs of weather values (meteograms) at a point, along a line or along a vessels route. Meteograms are a convenient way to see trends in the weather
• support for sailors when planning a passage, during departure planning, as well as while on passage, through the points, routes and vessels features
• mark points and name them. Measure distances, simulate traveling through weather
• support for GRIB versions 1 and 2 allows you to import the widest range of information
• import GRIB files from outside sources
• access to hundreds of GRIB parameters (wind, rain, pressure, temperature, CAPE, CIN, humidity, wave information, ocean current data, vorticity, simulated radar, standard deviation, and many more)
• an internet connection is not required to view downloaded files. LuckGrib acts as a fully functional viewer when away from the internet
LuckGrib has a built in GRIB file librarian, allowing you instant access to all of your GRIB files. Switching between GRIB files is very fast, allowing you to compare the results of different models or to watch how a forecast evolves over time
This update contains a couple of small fixes and improvements.
Offshore GRIB requests are a little easier to create with an improved automatic resolution mode. Also, ensemble weather data display is improved in the meteograms. There are a few more small things which most people will never notice, but still, they make the app a little better, and that's a good thing.
Ratings and Reviews
Truly Excellent weather visualizer and data source
This software is a top sofware product. As a weather hobbyist for many years, I've experimented with windows and linux-based sofware to view weather grib files. But I wanted something that was easy to use, flexible and provide beautiful graphics. This product does the trick! It has most of the weather models that you will want, free data downloads that are fast and data that is up to date!With this software you can easily and accurately get the model forecast data for your exact location, day by day and hour by hour. Want to know the temperature at 3:31 PM? It will tell you! The developer clearly takes pride in his software and has been readily available to answer the few questions that I had. It comes with a 14 day free trial...once you try it, you'll love it. Glad I found this! Highly recommended!
Developer Response ,
Gives me the weather data I need offshore to stay safe
I have been sailing around the world for the past 5 years using every grib viewer for the Macintosh and this is the best one out there. Not only is it fast at downloading and displaying the grib data but it also displays it more accurately than any other viewer. The developer has a background in mathematics and graphics and it shows in the care and construction of this application. When you understand how he interpolates the grid data to provide and smooth and accurate distribution between points you can appreciate his effort to get everything correct.
Developer Response ,
Well featured, fast, gorgeous
I've used various GRIB viewers on Macs (including Zygrib, OpenCPN, qtVLM, seaIQ, IDV, PredictWind, McIDAS-V, and others) and lots of web sites for weather analysis. LuckGrib quickly became my go-to for most work. It has it's own service for many weather models and can import GRIBs from NOAA or other sources. It handles the non-Mercator projections used by the NAM, RAP, and HRRR. Comparing trends from multiple model runs is easy. It's very fast, even with large data sets. The UI is very smooth and overall easy to use. And I find the output style very attractive (though that may be just me). Well worth the price.
Developer Response ,
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.