Luminair 3 is a professional-grade lighting control app, exclusively for iOS, that gives lighting designers, filmmakers and TV professionals, musicians, artists and other enthusiasts advanced control over DMX-enabled lights, as well as the next generation of "Smart" lights like Philips Hue.
Luminair’s unparalleled, multi-touch friendly controls were first developed back in 2008 in the first days of the App Store.
The app has gone on to be used in every corner of the globe, on everything from Oscar-winning films, in museum exhibitions, by artists and musicians, event professionals, as well as in theaters, clubs and houses of worship. Luminair for iPad received a Lighting Control “Product of the Year” award in 2012 from Live Design magazine, one of the leading industry publications.
Luminair 3 is the next generation of mobile lighting control, and this release truly represents the original vision of it’s designers. With the newly modernized user-interface, and features such as the new Dynamic FX engine, Scheduling, Remote for Apple Watch, Touch ID-powered Lockdown mode, and Tap to Bump, the creative possibilities are now limitless.
- Optimized for iPad Pro
- One DMX Output Universe
- One Art-Net DMX Input Universe for creating Snapshot scene recordings from another lighting console
- Works with any Art-Net or sACN E1.31 compliant DMX interface
- Transmits Art-Net and sACN E1.31 over built-in Wi-Fi hardware
- Transmits KiNET to Philips Color Kinetics power supplies over built-in Wi-Fi hardware
- Supports Art-Net, sACN and KiNET over wired ethernet connections with optional Redpark L2-NET lightning-to-ethernet cable accessory (available separately)
- Project based system allows you to create different documents and switch between them easily in Project selection view
- LTP faders with fully-configurable scene parameters
- DMX FX Engine* with a Movement generator, Oscillator, Color Looping, Random Color/Intensity, Fire, Water, and Television FX
- Palette/preset based movement system allows you to control and edit movements of multiple moving lights together in unison
- Sequences allow you to play back scenes with customized fade and hold times
- Sound Active mode allows for music controlled light shows using the built-in microphone, external sound sources, or Inter-App Audio
- Innovative tap-to-bump gesture allows you to quickly bump the levels of a scene while holding it's button, releasing those levels when let go
- Scheduling features built-in for triggering any scene or sequence. Great for architectural lighting, installations and related work.
- Supports simultaneous control of DMX and Hue lights in the same project
- Touch ID powered Lockdown mode allows you to lock specific parts of the Luminair user interface. Great for passing off control to volunteers or other lighting novices.
- Includes Luminair Remote for Apple Watch (on iPhone devices)
- Supports various external control methods as MIDI, MIDI over Bluetooth LE and Wi-Fi, Geofences, OSC Input, Philips Hue Tap light switches
- User manual included in iBooks format
- Streaming video overview tutorials are included (requires internet connection)
- Additional support for iBeacons, MSC, MTC, and an Astronomical clock for Schedule mode are available as separate In-App Purchases
- 64-bit app with a scalable UI that uses the latest Apple technologies like iCloud, Core Animation, Core MIDI, Core Image, Grand Central Dispatch and more to deliver an exceptional user experience
This is just a taste of what Luminair 3 offers... Please visit luminairapp.com for full details!
Please follow us @SyntheFX on Twitter for the latest Luminair news!
*FX engine and movement generator require iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad 3rd-generation, iPad mini 2, iPhone 5, or iPod touch 5th generation or greater
IMPORTANT: Luminair 3 requires external DMX or Hue hardware to control lights, but can also be used in an "offline" mode for building projects and as a learning tool.
- Added profiles for LiteGear fixtures
- Fixes a problem that could occur when deleting a fixture from the controls view
- Fixes a problem that could occur with linked fixtures when rearranging order
- Other minor fixes and improvements
Celebrating 10 years of Luminair app on iOS! Thank you for your continued support. For further assistance with this update or any other issues, please don't hesitate to contact us at https://support.luminairapp.com
Ratings and Reviews
Both Useable and Unstable at the same time...
Luminair is simple and useful, because it has editable scenes with faders that can be easily changed.
Luminair has always been very buggy since the very very beginning, and that has not changed very much over the years honestly. The app still often crashes randomly, especially when saving project files, or creating a custom button icon with the camera, despite the latest iOS updates and app updates. The app also loves to suddenly set all channels to off (BLACKOUT) when first loading a saved project file, despite that it was not saved in that state. The workaround for that bug is to turn off the output in the app, load the project, then turn the output back on again. That will prevent the sudden “BLACKOUT” (for no reason) from happening. I often find this app’s simplicity frustrating, especially with the highly limited effects options available, and the inability to use those effects easily, without needing to create duplicate faders mapped to duplicate channels that have those different effects patched into them. I have found the developers have not been very willing to make suggested changes, like the ability to lock project, scene and channel editing ability with independent separate special passwords, in order to make the app more useable in a permanent install environment. Oh well... this app is better than most apps, and a sharp stick in the eye...
Developer Response ,
We keep extensive support request records and see that you contacted us just a single time in the past, when you submitted a single feature request (Case #8362). That feature, the ability to lock scenes and other features, is already in the app, called “Lockdown Mode”. To say that we are “unwilling” to listen to suggestions based on that single point of contact, when the feature already exists, makes no sense to us.
Sadly it doesn’t look like you’ve ever reached out to us in regards to the other issues mentioned in your review either. If you have a case #, then please reference.
The truth is that thousands of creative professionals around the world rely on Luminair daily, and the app is regularly updated to add new features and fix any issues reported by users. Our in-app analytics show a 99% crash-free session percentage average across all users and versions, and most crashes can be attributed to running large projects with FX on old iOS hardware.
Regardless, if you're ever running into any issues, please get in touch at https://support.luminairapp.com so we can investigate.
School District’s Cure for In House Lighting Counsels
I have been using the app for a couple of years now. Primarily for a number of school districts that I work for and their in-house dimmer racks. It’s been a very intuitive and easy app to use, especially for students. We go out of our way to use it versus a regular lighting console. It’s also has been great for musicals and special events when we need to add special lighting.
That being said, it seems there hasn’t been a cure for a long time bug about assignment of fixture's DMX address if not in order. Also, tends to crash if you make a lot (70-80plus) scenes. Say for like, a musical. Other than that, I am recommending this setup for capital projects from now on.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your positive feedback! Please don’t hesitate to contact us at support.luminairapp.com for any support issues.
Best lighting app
I have some Chauvet lights and tried to use the Obey controller by Chauvet and its was so difficult to use I stopped using the controller and used the foot pedal switches that came with the 4Bars. And let the moving heads do it’s own thing via a preset program.
I found out about this Luminair app and wow, it’s easy to use just load in make and model of lights and off you go. I even use this app to make a moving head do the job of a Follow spot . Not to mention how cool and hi tech it looks when you are controlling the lights via iPad. I would give it 10stars if I could.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Synthe FX, LLC
- 136.1 MB
Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Synthe FX LLC
- In-App Purchases
- MIDI Pro $19.99
- Pro Bundle $49.99
- Schedule Pro $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.