Magellan RoadMate USA
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Magellan RoadMate USA gives you the SmartGPS experience including maps of the 50 US States and Puerto Rico onboard your cell phone! This means you won’t lose GPS navigation even when you lose cell reception.
This app is designed to be a navigation device combined with a powerful search tool. Search within a robust Point Of Interest library in addition to the Yelp and Foursquare venues. Select your destination using these methods and either navigate on foot with your iPhone or wirelessly send your destination to the Magellan SmartGPS navigator to drive to your selection. You have the choice of using which navigation tool is right for the job!
SmartGPS features include:
• Information Squares – innovative interface makes selections easy to access with features presented in squares. Get Yelp locations, Foursquare locations, Navigation, and Traffic events all on one control panel.
• Share – send destinations to your SmartGPS GPS navigator to navigate to as soon as you get in your car
• PhantomALERT – receive red light and speed camera warnings for 1st year free!
• Searchable maps – scan the entire USA
• Points of interest– conveniently search for research restaurants, hotels, gas stations, etc.
• Yelp! – search the Yelp! database for venues and reviews
• Foursquare– search through Foursquare for venues and find money saving special offers
• Best Parking – see parking garages and their prices
• Free map updates – receive map updates, when available, with no additional charge
• Multi-task with In-app Music Control. You can talk on your phone or use another app while routing. RoadMate will continue to guide you in the background with turn-by-turn instructions to your destination.
The included navigation features give you a rich turn-by-turn experience:
• Turn-by-turn – Voice navigation with street names
• Landmark Voice Guidance - instead of hearing “turn right in half a mile on Main Street”, at select landmarks you will now hear “In 500 feet, turn right at the Shell gas station onto Main Street”.
• Highway Lane Assist– we make it very clear which lane to be in!
• Junction View – a graphical picture clearly showing your highway exit
• Real time traffic flow – check your route for traffic conditions
• Traffic Re-routing – Get alternative route options if there is a traffic delay on your route
• Pedestrian mode – RoadMate has you covered outside your car as well for navigating on foot
Premium Safety Alerts lifetime Subscription - US $24.99
Alternative Navigation Text to Speech Voices – US $0.99
In app purchases are billed to you through your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase.
Languages Supported: English, French, Spanish
Privacy statement: http://www.magellangps.com/Footer/Privacy-Policy
*Cellular reception required for real time searches in Best Parking, Yelp!, Foursquare, and for receiving Traffic updates and safety alerts. Wi-Fi connectivity required for similar use on iPod touch.
GPS applications running in the background will decrease battery life.
iPhone 3G & iPod touch 2nd gen are not supported. User must upgrade to iOS 4.3 or later to use the latest app.
What's New in Version 2.6.3
Fix an issue with accessing Foursquare information.
We have tool into the future
Let me start indicating that as a non-free app for navigation, Magellan was in my opinion the best out there (in comparison to the top six well known apps for navigation). Some minor glitches, but, overall it was a superior one. Friendly, easy to use but yet...powerful. The first grave error committed was the lack of road updates, (honestly, I cannot remember when was the last time this app was updated). Magellan Committed the second error by removing the Google search from it, making the app a handicap one (in my opinion). This is when my friends and I decided to utilize a different one. As a customer, I do not understand the logic, standalone units from Garmin as well as Magellan and TomTom are becoming obsolete. Is it the lack of financial means or maybe the company is not looking into another alternative, but, no matter what it is, is a true shame. Google maps as well as Waze are picking up the tab rather quickly with easy to utilize and strong navigational apps. Navigational apps are becoming more social, not that I care, but it is a reality. Strong competition from non-free navigational apps like iGO, Navigon, scout, Sygic, and copilot, are strongly increasing the competition – which I like. Currently there is not a perfect app, I wish I could merge a few of them to obtain the ideal one, but, that is just a dream. Magellan, you need to improve your app, why letting a product with so much potential go to waste.
Respectfully a friend
Worked fine until
I've been using the app for a few years, and it always worked great. But when I got my new car with the blue tooth built in, it stopped giving me audible directions. At first I thought that maybe it was because when I sync my phone to the blue tooth in the car, all if the sounds on my phone go away except for the ring when someone calls. But even when my phone is not hooked up to blue tooth, I still have no sound in the app! I don't know what happened. I'm trying to redownload to see if that helps. I don't know what to do otherwise because there aren't any other GPS apps out there except for google maps. And I'm not terribly fond of google maps.
What a Shame
I've always contended that this app was the single most costly purchase I ever made from the AppStore, and totally worth it. The on-board maps and offline navigation in areas without cell service without manually having to download multiple, size-limited maps beforehand gave it the edge over Google, while Magellan's history in satnav gave it the edge over like-featured peers.
But... At around 2 years since any significant map data upgrades, my enthusiasm now wanes. Routes and turn-by-turn instructions are becoming increasingly outdated where new bypasses and interchange modification have sprung up. I can no longer depend on this app as I did.
Meanwhile, competitors in this class that are more serious and conscientious in supporting their AppStore customers look better and better.
If Magellan gets with the program with their updates, this app could be great again. Until then, I'm afraid I cannot recommend it to anyone who might need to depend upon it being accurate and up-to-date.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Feb 02, 2014
- Version: 2.6.3
- Size: 1.79 GB
- Languages: English, French, Spanish
- Seller: MiTAC Digital Corporation
- ©2013 MiTAC Digital Corporation
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Premium Safety Alerts Subscription$24.99
- Jill $0.99
- Premium Safety Alerts - One Year Subscription$9.99
- Javier $0.99