Magic Lasso is an efficient, high performance ad blocker for the Mac with native Safari integration. Experience a cleaner, faster web browsing experience – without ads, pop ups or user tracking.
Why Magic Lasso is the best adblocker for the Mac:
1. Faster, more efficient web browsing
– Blocks advertisements, user tracking scripts and pop up windows
– Pages load, on average, over 20% faster with Magic Lasso installed
– Save over 10% on bandwidth usage
– Improves your battery life significantly during heavy web browsing
2. Native Safari integration – the best Safari ad blocker
– Uses Safari’s native content blocker integration approach
– Significantly lighter memory and CPU usage than other macOS adblock apps
– Higher performance and better privacy than older mechanisms used by other adblock tools (such as a VPN to block ads)
3. Block more advertisements, scripts and pop ups
– Includes 50,000+ adblock rules
– Incorporates adblock plus a Safari pop up blocker and a user tracking blocker
– Adblock rules updated regularly and automatically
– Free updates via the Mac App Store
Why Magic Lasso is a better adblocker than other ad block apps such as 1Blocker, Adguard, Purify and Wipr:
– Ad block rules are updated regularly and automatically – without requiring an app update – unlike 1Blocker
– Simple, streamlined and straightforward – we use the native Safari ad blocker mechanisms to provide the fastest, smoothest and most supported approach on macOS. Other adblock apps such as Adguard Pro may require you to install an add blocker VPN which may introduce privacy issues
– Our ongoing development is supported by users like you. Unlike Adblock Plus, we don’t take payment from advertisers to let paid advertisements be shown when browsing in Safari
– Magic Lasso is also available for the iPhone and iPad, so you can block ads on your iPhone, iPad and Mac with the same content blocker app
– Our goal is to create the most user-friendly and platform-native Mac adblock app available – better than Ghostery, Purify, Ublock Origin and Wipr
– We have crystal clear privacy and security policies and cannot see any web pages that our user's visit. We do not store any user data or have a data-based business model.
Pro subscription gives you even more
An optional Magic Lasso Pro subscription enables blocking of more ads and tracking scripts with automated, background daily rule updates; unlimited device support and access to planned future features.
– Pro subscriptions are charged on a monthly or annual basis (depending upon selected subscription plan)
– Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
– Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period at the original subscription price.
– Subscriptions may be managed and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your Account Settings in iTunes after purchase.
– Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account on purchase confirmation.
– Helps to support ongoing development of the Magic Lasso add blocker and Safari pop up blocker
Version 1.5 introduces a much requested website whitelisting feature!
– Magic Lasso is disabled on whitelisted sites, allowing you to easily view any websites that have problems when ads are blocked
– Whitelists can be optionally and anonymously submitted to Magic Lasso to help improve the adblocker rules for all users
Whitelists are currently in Beta and are available for all Pro subscribers to provide feedback for further improvements.
Version 1.5 also includes:
– Bug fixes to resolve issues where some users were not downloading the latest adblocker rules
– Instructions on how to quickly and temporarily load pages in Safari with Magic Lasso disabled
– Safari extension permissions have been reduced – improving privacy and security for all users
Ratings and Reviews
Deceptive Rules Set
I’d been using this blocker for a few weeks when this morning I noticed it block a rather innoculous site for no reason. As I dug deeper into the site, a developer’s blog, I realized that he too has a content blocker that competes with this one. Best I can gather, the only logical reason to block the site would be anti-competivie pettiness, as I confirmed that even with no content blockers at all, there were zero ads on the pages I was viewing. Promptly uninstalled this app and would advise anyone to do the same, as it seems the developer is at best incompetently blocking pages without ads, and at worst, targeting and actively blocking competitors. If they’re willing to stoop to that level, whos to say what else may be blocked thast shouldn’t, allowed through that shouldn’t, or what otherwise sketchy behavior could be happening here.
Thank you for the feedback – we do not and will never intentionally block any competitor’s products or websites. Creating efficient and comprehensive rules to block the multitude of ads and trackers on the web is a difficult task and sometimes blocks sites which, when reviewed, shouldn’t be blocked. In our testing, Magic Lasso provides a faster web browsing experience than other adblockers but sometimes specific pages or sites can be incorrectly blocked (due to domain name, analytics or web technologies used). In these cases, please email the URL to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll investigate and will happily add a manual exclusion for sites - such as the one you reference - that are incorrectly blocked. Future releases will also allow users to easily specify any sites they discover to be added to a whitelist so that they are not blocked by the included rules.
Had trouble loading most web sites
Even when reloading a webpage without ad-blocking, quite often pages would load blank, not finish loading, or fail to start loading. Most recently, a website sent me to paypal to finish checkout. I had to load paypal in Opera in order to complete the transaction.
My work site would not load in Safari without enabling all ads and popups. There are no ads, but it uses pop-ups.
Thank you for the feedback. We are continually updating our ad blocking rules which should minimise these types of issues. We will also be introducing a whitelisting feature in a future release which will enable users to exclude specified websites from the content blocking rules and should solve the problems you experienced on some sites.
Cant disable this App!!!
I am trying to reload the page without the content blaockers, and this app will not allow me to do so. I need to be able to get to imporatnat web sites, I cant even disable this app, when I try, it is still running in the background, and there is no way of seeing where it is runnning in the background.
To view a page with adblocking disabled, hold down the reload button in Safari and select "Reload without Content Blockers" – this will reload the page and avoid any issues with sites that have adblocking issues.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.