MapsGPS for Pebble - Smartwatch maps and directions
By Nathan Oates
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Put a mini map on your Pebble smart watch, and get turn-by-turn directions to a destination!
Please also install the watchface from the Pebble App Store.
- Main mode: Map + current address at bottom
- Hit up button: Turn-by-turn arrow + instructions
- Hit down button: Turn-by-turn arrow + map
- Hit middle button: Pops up a menu for zoom, grayscale and GPS controls. Keep hitting middle to rotate through and/or dismiss
- Turn-by-turn requires a destination to be set in the iOS app first!
Map types: Terrain, Satellite, Hybrid and Streetmap
Map depth: Black&White, Grayscale, or color
Walking and driving directions
Optional buzzes to alert you to upcoming turns
Address book integration
Control zoom level and map depth from the watch
Built-in battery saving techniques:
- Phone GPS shuts off after a few minutes if not using the watchface.
- Intelligent background updating to minimise CPU time in the background (iPhone 5 or later)
Unless you are running in an LE-only mode (such as Pebble Round), you can only have one third-party iOS app talking to your Pebble at once.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
MapsGPS uses data to download maps and directions. A wifi or cellular connection to the internet is required.
Turn-by-turn directions is available in most countries, but not completely worldwide - please see this list to see if your country is supported: https://www.apple.com/au/ios/feature-availability/
What's New in Version 3.2.1
The "Update more often" setting now updates a bit more often.
Other misc small fixes.
Does not work
It looked like a useful app but does not work. It does not connect to Apple Maps. When I try connect to a contact, the app crashes. If I type in a location, such as a restaurant the app does not find it. If I type an address the app finds it sometimes, but does not display on my Pebble.
A waste of my money.
The app and watch often lose connection with each other, and will not reconnect. Once GPS was stopped I could never get it to start again. I also was never able to get the watch/app to refresh past the first direction.
Could be great
Compass view could be more intuitive.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: May 19, 2016
- Version: 3.2.1
- Size: 2.1 MB
- Languages: English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
- Seller: Nathan Oates
- © Nathan Oates
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.