MapToaster for iOS provides New Zealand topo maps with all the rich detail of the LINZ Topo50 and Topo250 topographical maps, helping you plan your expedition and get to the right spot. Whether you are a recreational or business user, MapToaster provides indispensable reference topo maps, with easy-to-use software.
The app includes a 1:250,000 scale topographical map of New Zealand, updated Nov 2015.
The 1:50,000 scale topo maps are available for in-app purchase and these include:
* New Zealand South Island, Stewart Island and the sub-antarctic islands - Antipodes Is, Auckland Is, Bounty Is, Campbell Is, Snares Is
* New Zealand North Island, Kermadec group and Chatham Islands
* Antarctica around the area of the Ross Sea
Once downloaded, the mapping doesn't need a WiFi connection or cellphone coverage, as the maps are stored on your device.
* detailed LINZ 1:50,000 mapping available by in-app purchase.
* comprehensive search index with over 50,000 placenames. Includes all the map placenames, locality names, track start and end points
* 1:50,000 mapping shows Conservation Estate with a magenta border and Scenic & Recreation reserves with a red border
* built-in map legend
* coordinates can be displayed and entered either in WGS-84 longitude/latitude or local projected coordinates (e.g. NZTM etc)
* navigate to a waypoint using a head-up display on the map. Shows the speed, time-to-destination, distance, bearing and direction to turn to get to the destination. Select a destination by tapping the waypoint symbol on the map, then the "Navigate to Waypoint" menu option. Tap the navigation display to cancel navigation. Option to use device heading or ground track for direction.
* share waypoints by email, iMessage and AirDrop
* import waypoints from GPX files by email, iMessage and AirDrop
* import and share tracks in GPX file format by email, iMessage and AirDrop
* geocachers can view the full detail in geocaching.com PocketQuery files, with automatic colour coding by cache type.
* map can show and follow your current location. Map display can be north-up or track-up
* create waypoints either at your current location or by tap & hold on the map
* create a track by tapping out a path on the screen
* record your track while the GPS is running. Note that continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
* split screen mode for iPads
* 3D Touch Home screen shortcuts on iPhone 6s or later
* map browsing and Find handoff between your devices. View a map on your iPhone and jump to your iPad at the same place
* the Find, Track and Waypoint views show the distance from the centre of the current view
* measure distances by tapping out a track on the screen
* uses familar gestures: pinch to zoom, drag, double-tap to zoom in, two-finger tap to zoom out, tap & hold to mark a waypoint
* maps are stored on your device. Once the download is done, you don't need an Internet connection
* privacy-friendly. The app doesn't report your location to us and the waypoints stay on your device, unless you choose to share them
* friendly helpful technical support
Made by Integrated Mapping Ltd, a Christchurch-based company with over 25 years experience in developing mapping software, whose customers include multinational consulting companies, conservation organisations, Crown Research Institutes, central, regional and local government, universities, schools and libraries, emergency services such as St Johns, helicopter rescue, Search and Rescue, and Police.
- Updated 1:250,000 map - May 2018
- 1:50,000 maps updated to May 2018. To update, delete the maps, then re-download it.
- iPhone X support
- Fixed a problem where GPX file exports couldn't be loaded in some other software
- Timestamps are now shown in local time rather than UTC
- List of tracks now shows the track time duration
- Waypoints list shows time the waypoint was created
- Can zoom in more (note zooming beyond the map scale doesn't get more detail, just makes it bigger)
- Updated 1:50,000 legend
- More accurate estimate of required free space to install new maps (iOS 11 only)
- Waypoint ID's can have any characters in them now. But best stick to just letters and numbers as not all GPS can cope with Unicode characters in names
- Can now restore map-follows-your-location mode when the GPS is running without turning the GPS off/on. If you drag the map while the GPS is running the map stops following your location and the GPS button turns brown. To restore map-follows mode, press an hold the GPS button for a couple of seconds. The maps will start following your location again and GPS button will turn red.
- Bug fixes
- Integrated Mapping Ltd
- 280 MB
Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2014-18 by Integrated Mapping Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- New Zealand Sth Is - 1:50,000 $3.99
- New Zealand Nth Is, Kermadec and Chatham Is - 1:50,000 $3.99
- Antarctica (Ross Dependency) & NZ Sub-antarctic Is - 1:50,000 Free
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.