Marble Arena 2
By Mihai Gabriel Ailioai
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
First ever marble game to feature multiplayer level crafting ! Join your friends and create anything you want !
Marble Arena 2 is a family friendly, physics based, free 3D marble game, featuring vibrant HD graphics, fun and addictive gameplay, and an easy to use built-in editor for creating custom levels.
The game now features 82 mayhem filled levels, where players will test their skills on several types of surfaces, attempt to master a multitude of physics contraptions and go toe to toe, and sometimes toe to multiple toes, with A.I. controlled enemies bent on preventing players from achieving their goals.
Making it through all these perils in one piece, and in time, has its benefits. Players will be awarded upgrade points for doing so, points that they can use to improve their skills or unlock their favorite from a multitude of marble skins.
If single player action is just not enough action, the game provides a fun multiplayer experience, with a dedicated server running 24/7 and gives anyone the ability to host their own server and play with their friends.
Creative players are given all the tools they’ll need to create their own levels, in the form of the built in editor. A quick, fun and easy to use set of tools meant to allow anyone to bring their mayhem inducing ideas to life in a matter of minutes and play them right away.
To complete the experience, the game goes hand in hand with the brand new Marble Arena website, where players will be able to post stats, best times and scores, upload replays of their shenanigans or they very own original levels, for others to download, rate and appreciate.
The website is also the place to find video walkthroughs for all the levels in the game, video tutorials for all those creative types out there, and a leaderboard for bragging once you make it to the #1 spot.
What's New in Version 1.3
- Multiplayer Level Creation and Editing
- Terrain Generator
- Easier way to install downloaded levels
- Many more bug fixes and improvements
Game has potential, but falls short.
There aren't very many decent family games that can actually cater to all ages, but this one can. It falls short in a few areas, and mostly in it's coding and challenge. I understand my kids shouldn't be able to beat levels correctly (I just want them to be able to have fun playing), but I'm a fairly competent gamer and I find this game is too challenging. Sometimes it frustrates me like I was playing "Left 4 Dead" on Expert mode, or trying to earn a Tom Clancey game achievement. This game seems catered to hardcore gamers, but the physics is lacking, and the textures/lighting are simple, and music seems too "kiddy" in design.
Don't get me wrong, I like this game... especially for my kids. I just wish I didn't have to struggle through all the levels just so I could give them more levels to play. Finding every single last star in a level is draining, especially when it's at a clunky part due to the physics engine. I also didn't like beating the first two "real" levels, then quitting, coming back to play and realize I needed to MANUALLY save my progress (in quicksave), because default save doesn't load for me.
Some tidbits about the game:
- In order to "upgrade" your abilities or marble texture you must earn points
- To get points you beat levels within a set time
- 100% collection (of stars) required to beat level (and proceed to new levels)
- If you don't beat within set time, you can still beat level but no points are awarded
What it does right:
- Decent gameplay; it's simple, fun and a cute concept
- Interesting levels that utilize the physics of the game world
- Fun "power-ups" for your marble
- Solo/multi-player options
- Upgrade options for gameplay and marble aesthetics
- Custom level building
What makes it fall short & what could be improved:
- Level timer is too short (must play levels flawlessly and collect stars in certain order to beat correctly)
- Physic engine is clunky at times
- The camera needs improvement (it bumps into objects and wall, and repositions itself automatically)
- The camera shouldn't automatically go "behind" the marble (because if you are pressing "s" to go back, you start to moving in different directions as the camera rotates around)
- Pressing your desired direction is dependent on which way camera is facing (which becomes frustrating when camera bumps into things and moves itself automatically)
- If there is going to be no difficulty setting, then the level design is lacking (early levels should be easy, mid levels harder, final levels challenging... and last level should be more fun than challenging)
- Stars of different value seem unimportant (don't effect upgrade points); levels should just have a collection total (instead of point total)
- There should be difficulty settings (i.e. easy, medium, hard) or ability to skip levels
- The basic save function doesn't load saves; I've had to do everything through quicksave/quickload
- The game should use a "profile" login so default game progress can be saved
- Gameplay techniques aren't properly explained or positioned in levels to let you know how to appropriately use them without wasting time "experimenting" for multiple tries
- Instead of requiring 100% point collection completion, allow for 50%, 75%, 100% in order to proceed to new levels, but give less "upgrade points (i.e. like earning bronze, silver or gold in a level)
- Timers on power-ups should be longer (again, you are given a decent amount of time to use it only if you are flawless in utilizing the power-up)
Saving is Screwed Up
I would give this a 4-5 star rating, but saving doesn't work. I made a lot of progress, by every time I get on I click resume last save. But one time, I get on, then get off, without opening that save, then the next time I get on and click resume last save, I lost ALL my progress. I went into the same machine thing, it was there, but when I open it up, it doesn't work. You will never get a good review from me unless this is fixed, and you will make sure that it works 100%. If you want me to be happy with this game, don't make there be multiple saved games. When I finish a level, it should autosave. Marble Blast Gold from a long time ago did it this way and it worked flawlessly. There should be auto save. This is the only game I've seen in years that doesn't have auto save. To me, this just seems like you guys where too lazy to put it in.
Outside of saving, its a fun game. Very challenging. But not fun since I have to restart the whole dang game. If I ever loose my progress again, you won't every expect me to play this game again.
When I try to download the game, it comes up with a window saying "The server gave an error during download: 401 Unauthorized. It downloaded fine before.