Marco Polo: Find Your Phone by Shouting MARCO!
By Matt Wiechec
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
If you've ever lost or misplaced your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch somewhere nearby but can't quite remember where, the Marco Polo app will help you quickly find your device with just your voice. Just shout out loud MARCO! and your hidden device will ring back POLO! so that you can find it.
*** NEW! iOS 8 Nearby Widget—now find misplaced devices right from your Notification Center. Just swipe down to reveal Notification Center and Marco Polo will automatically find any device around you! ***
#1 Paid Utility App in 80 countries! #1 Top Paid App Overall in 32 countries! Featured on: Popular Science, Cult of Mac, Gizmodo, CNET, TUAW, The Daily Dot, Business Insider, and many more!
The Marco Polo app runs silently in the background and never disturbs you until you need it. No more panic attacks or getting to a Mac to find your device—Marco Polo works with just your voice and completely offline (no Wi-Fi or cellular needed). The app will listen across multiple rooms, even multiple levels in your home, and will override silent mode so you can find your device no matter what. Simply launch the app, then shout MARCO! That’s it!
For even more fun try installing Marco Polo on multiple devices. You can distinguish each device by changing the input phrase, voice and custom response, so that each iOS device behaves differently.
Note: Marco Polo currently uses an acoustic model for North American accents. If you have a non North American accent it may be less responsive.
• Change the input phrase and shout anything you want
• Over 30 unique character voices to customize how your device sounds when it responds
• Control what your device says back with custom responses like: “I’m Over Here”, “Who's There?”, and “iPhone Reporting”, or enter your own phrase!
• New iOS 8 Nearby Widget; now find other devices with just a tap, right from Notification Center
• Works even if your device is in sleep or silent mode
• Push Notifications light up your screen making it easy to find your device in the dark
• Volume Boost maximizes your device’s volume level, even if you left the volume low
• Works with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
These limitations are imposed by iOS and are required for all apps that use the microphone:
• While Marco Polo is listening in the background your iOS device will show a red bar at the top of the screen.
• Some notifications and sounds will get silenced. Phone calls, calendar alerts, and clock alarms will continue to make sounds.
PRIVACY & REQUIREMENTS
• Marco Polo does NOT require Wi-Fi or cellular. All voice processing is done on your device and is never sent or stored anywhere. Nothing ever gets saved. Nothing ever leaves your device.
• Nearby Widget requires iOS 8 and a Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) compatible device. However devices running iOS 7 that are BLE compatible can still be discovered. Devices must be running Marco Polo.
What's New in Version 2.0.1
Our largest update just got bigger. All the great new features, voices, custom responses, widgets, and improvements we brought you in version 2.0 plus a few minor tweaks!
Worthless, zero stars
If you are looking for an app to find your phone, this is not it. You have to give it microphone access and leave it running in the background at all times for it to work. It drains the battery and presumably listens to everything while it's on.
The response isn't very loud, so if your phone is lost in the couch cushions, you likely won't hear the response. You can change the voice, but you have to cycle through ALL of the options to find one and can't use a pull down menu. The app crashes frequently (and remember, it doesn't function at all when closed), especially when changing settings.
If you have kids, this might be a fun game for them, but only until it crashes and your phone is lost for good when it can't respond to their call.
Not what you'd think
Sadly, this app does not live up to the hype. It is continually polling your mic, and so there is constantly a bright red bar at the top of your screen reminding you that it's eating up your battery life. If you don't like that, you must disable the app, which makes it useless for its advertised purpose. The voice recognition is incorrectly trained so that it will fire off of any word beginning in "mar", and the sensitivity drops off markedly with distance, once again crippling its primary usage scenario. Neat idea, but I do not believe the current OS and APIs make it possible to use this app as advertised, and it is only notable as a novelty.
Too many false responses
Too many false responses to words other than "Marco," make this app near worthless. It could be a good app if false positives are addressed.
The fact that the app triggers on "Mar" rather than "Marco," makes it trigger far too many false responses. This makes it impractical for its intended purpose. While it seems to trigger mostly on "Marc," which will still trigger words like Mark, market, marker, even words such as Mardi Gras, marvelous, Marcy, March, mercy, etc. will trigger.
There definitely needs to be some improvement to eliminate the triggering of false responses
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Feb 05, 2015
- Version: 2.0.1
- Size: 34.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Matt Wiechec
- © 2014 Matt Wiechec
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.