Artist's Viewfinder assists the filmmaker or still photographer in exploring different places and angles to find the optimal placement for the camera, and to second-guess compositions. By simulating real camera and lens combinations it allows you to visualize what you are going to shoot without actually setting up the camera. And it's also a great tool to train yourself to see.
Handles Like Your Camera
Exposure compensation. Auto-focus lock. AF confirmation beep. A Quick Control Screen for accessing frequently needed functions. Smart Function Keys. Shutter release via the Volume Up button. We designed the Mark II so that you could feel at home the moment you start working with it. And because it also saves high resolution photos, you can even use it as a regular camera.
Visualize the Grand Landscape
Paired with a 0.5x-class super-wide converter lens*, the Mark II becomes an indispensable tool for landscape and architecture photographers. The combination can simulate super-wide lenses up to around 16mm on the full-frame 35mm format. Or you can use it to compose super-wide stitched images. The Mark II even removes distortion present in the wide converter lens — in real time.
* FOR THE LIST OF SUPPORTED CONVERTER/DEVICE COMBINATIONS PLEASE VISIT: http://www.artistsviewfinder.com/tech-specs/
When There's No Need for Color
In black & white mode Artist's Viewfinder shows just the luminance information of the scene, making it easier to explore tonal structures and simulate what a black & white photograph will look like. Taking it a step further, the optional dark and neutral toolbar theme ensures that colors from the app doesn't interfere with your composition.
Unprecedented Simulation Flexibility
The Mark II leverages our extensive Viewfinder Camera Database, containing more than 600 still and motion picture cameras, 150 medium/large format backs and countless lenses — incorporating real lens data for ALPA, Hartblei, Leica, Rodenstock, Schneider and Zeiss glass. And you can define your own cameras and lenses when you need something special for the job.
Does What Optical Viewfinders Can't Even Dream Of
Artist's Viewfinder stores location and simulation metadata with the pictures, allowing you to evaluate results of a location scout later on your computer. Or you can send the information off to the rest of the crew or to a rental house, right from the app. It also records a standard GPX format track log, alleviating the need for a separate logging device.
Want to Learn More?
The Viewfinder Handbook explains every single feature of the Mark II. It is an iPad optimized free PDF eBook available at: http://www.artistsviewfinder.com/handbook/
• Added support for iPhone XS Max and XR screen sizes.
• Added support for iPad Pro 11" and iPad Pro 12.9" 3rd Generation.
• Improved main screen layout for iPhone X, XS, XS Max and XR matches practical still and motion picture aspect ratios better.
• Lab measured angle of views for iPhone XS Max.
• The Quick Control Screen opens much faster when launching the app afresh.
• Improved iOS 12 compatibility.
• The default Toolbar Theme has been changed to Dark & Neutral.
• AF and protective metering is now properly reset to the position indicated by the AF point when changing cameras and when the app comes back from the background.
• Corrected a problem that might cause the Black and White Mode and the Wide Mode function toggles temporarily unresponsive after very low live view frame rates.
• Corrected catalog browser positioning on iPhone X/XS/XS Max/XR.
• ALPA 12 PLUS
• Canon EOS R
• Fujifilm GFX 50R, X-T3
• Leica M10-D, M10-P
• Nikon D3500, Z6, Z7
• Phase One IQ4 150, IQ4 150 Achromatic, IQ4 100 Trichromatic
Ratings and Reviews
Well worth the price!
I have found this to be an invaluable app for surveying potential images, and choosing lenses. I use it with a Canon 5D and various view camera arrangements with BetterLight backs.
It has a smooth and intelligent interface which works well in the field or studio.
If you’re a tripod shooter with large and heavy cameras or just want to find the right view, this is a great tool and matches virtually any format and provides an endless string of lens sizes. Where was this 30 years ago when I was lugging my Arca Swiss and Schneider 400 mm lens across the terrain?!
The best app I have ever purchased
Really great. Just really great.
- DIRE Studio Kft.
- 6.9 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2009-2018 DIRE Studio Kft.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.