Artist's Viewfinder assists the filmmaker or still photographer in exploring different places and angles to find the optimal placement for the camera, and to second-guess compositions. By simulating real camera and lens combinations it allows you to visualize what you are going to shoot without actually setting up the camera. And it's also a great tool to train yourself to see.
Handles Like Your Camera
Exposure compensation. Auto-focus lock. AF confirmation beep. A Quick Control Screen for accessing frequently needed functions. Smart Function Keys. Shutter release via the Volume Up button. We designed the Mark II so that you could feel at home the moment you start working with it. And because it also saves high resolution photos, you can even use it as a regular camera.
Visualize the Grand Landscape
Paired with a 0.5x-class super-wide converter lens*, the Mark II becomes an indispensable tool for landscape and architecture photographers. The combination can simulate super-wide lenses up to around 16mm on the full-frame 35mm format. Or you can use it to compose super-wide stitched images. The Mark II even removes distortion present in the wide converter lens — in real time.
* FOR THE LIST OF SUPPORTED CONVERTER/DEVICE COMBINATIONS PLEASE VISIT: http://www.artistsviewfinder.com/tech-specs/
When There's No Need for Color
In black & white mode Artist's Viewfinder shows just the luminance information of the scene, making it easier to explore tonal structures and simulate what a black & white photograph will look like. Taking it a step further, the optional dark and neutral toolbar theme ensures that colors from the app doesn't interfere with your composition.
Unprecedented Simulation Flexibility
The Mark II leverages our extensive Viewfinder Camera Database, containing more than 600 still and motion picture cameras, 150 medium/large format backs and countless lenses — incorporating real lens data for ALPA, Hartblei, Leica, Rodenstock, Schneider and Zeiss glass. And you can define your own cameras and lenses when you need something special for the job.
Does What Optical Viewfinders Can't Even Dream Of
Artist's Viewfinder stores location and simulation metadata with the pictures, allowing you to evaluate results of a location scout later on your computer. Or you can send the information off to the rest of the crew or to a rental house, right from the app. It also records a standard GPX format track log, alleviating the need for a separate logging device.
Want to Learn More?
The Viewfinder Handbook explains every single feature of the Mark II. It is an iPad optimized free PDF eBook available at: http://www.artistsviewfinder.com/handbook/
• Auto ISO with minimum, maximum and minimum shutter speed settings.
• Selectable screen frame rate to balance between fluid experience and power saving, and to avoid flicker with lighting running on 50Hz mains frequency.
• Artist and copyright metadata. The copyright template supports tokens for the current year (so it's always up-to-date), artist name and the copyright symbol.
• Export album picker.
• Altitude is included in the EXIF GPS info of saved images.
• Quick Smart Function Key assignment via long pressing the key.
• Protective exposure metering.
• TIFF/EP compliant DNG files with support for wide color and full resolution embedded previews.
• Distortion correction and black & white mode are now applied to RAW previews.
• The Catalog Viewer shows the last captured view by default.
• Lower Catalog Viewer memory consumption.
• Preferences to turn off app-generated sounds and haptic feedback.
• Lab measured angle of views for iPhone 8 Plus.
• Modified RED camera naming according to the DSMC2 naming scheme: WEAPON 8K S35 is now HELIUM 8K S35, WEAPON is now DRAGON 6K S35.
• The selection check mark in the rightmost column now appears correctly on iPhone X.
• Corrected image dimensions for the "Canon EOS Film Camera".
• Corrected partially visible lines in the Chinese translation.
Added wide converter profiles:
• ALPA ACAM SWC on iPhone X
• olloclip Active Ultra Wide on iPhone 8 Plus
• olloclip Core Super Wide on iPhone 8 Plus
• ARRI ALEXA LF
• Cambo Actus G, GFX, XCD
• Canon EOS 2000D, 4000D, C200, M50, Rebel T7
• Fujifilm X-A5, X-E3, X-H1, X-T100
• Hasselblad H6D-400c MS, H6X
• Olympus PEN E-PL9
• Panasonic DC-GF10, DC-GH5S, DC-GX9
• Pentax K-1 Mark II
• RED GEMINI 5K S35, MONSTRO 8K VV
• Sony A7 III, PXW-FS7
• Fujifilm GFX 50S
• Generic 36x24 Digital, 44x33 Digital, 54x40 Digital
• Hasselblad H4D-31, H4D-40, H4D-50, H4D-50MS, H4D-60, H4D-200MS, H5D-40, H5D-50, H5D-50c, H5D-50MS, H5D-60, H5D-200MS, H6D-50c, H6D-100c, H6D-400c MS, X1D-50c
Ratings and Reviews
Well worth the price!
I have found this to be an invaluable app for surveying potential images, and choosing lenses. I use it with a Canon 5D and various view camera arrangements with BetterLight backs.
It has a smooth and intelligent interface which works well in the field or studio.
If you’re a tripod shooter with large and heavy cameras or just want to find the right view, this is a great tool and matches virtually any format and provides an endless string of lens sizes. Where was this 30 years ago when I was lugging my Arca Swiss and Schneider 400 mm lens across the terrain?!
The best app I have ever purchased
Really great. Just really great.
- DIRE Studio Kft.
- 6.7 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2009-2018 DIRE Studio Kft.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.