The #1 Desktop Blog Editor for the Mac!
MarsEdit is the best way to write, preview, and publish your blog.
Free to download! Unlock a free trial in the app, purchase a full license, or continue to use the app for free to maintain an archive on your Mac and work locally with your published blog posts.
- Works with WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr, TypePad, Movable Type and dozens of other systems that support standard MetaWeblog and AtomPub interfaces.
- Work offline with local drafts on your Mac, preview the formatting and content of your posts, and publish when you're ready to share with the world.
- Easily browse for a photo from your iPhoto, Aperture, or Lightroom libraries, and embed it for automatic upload with your blog post.
- Avoid common browser-based problems like losing your edits by navigating to another page, poor spelling for lack of a spell checker, etc.
- Perfect for professional bloggers and casual writers who don't want to mess around with clunky web-based interfaces. If you're lucky enough to have a Mac, nothing is more powerful or more elegant than MarsEdit.
- Write in Rich Text "WYSIWYG" that will be converted automatically to HTML when you publish, or hand-tune the HTML in a syntax-highlighted code editor. Markdown fan? Write in Markdown in the HTML editor and see a live-preview of the HTML rendering in the preview window.
- Compatible with macOS 10.12 or higher.
Coming to the Mac from Windows? MarsEdit is similar to Live Writer, the popular Windows blog editor, but differs in some ways. Ask around and read MarsEdit reviews to decide if MarsEdit is right for you.
This update supports new functionality in macOS Mojave and fixes a few bugs:
- Supports Dark Mode in macOS Mojave
- Avoids aggressively reloading the preview window after inserting an image into a post
- Restores ability for MarsEdit to launched as a login item but "hidden" in background
- Fixes a bug that could cause post content to be lost on conversion from Rich Text when a more tag is present
If you have a minute, please leave a rating or review in the App Store. It means a lot.
Questions or concerns about the app? Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Ratings and Reviews
Years in the Making
I've relied on two blog editors in over a decade of publishing content to MovableType and WordPress. First was ecto, but it stopped being a viable editor a loooooong time ago. I moved to MarsEdit 3 that looooong time ago, and virtually every blog post I've written for over a decade has been written in MarsEdit.
MarsEdit 4 is a beautiful, simple, efficient upgrade. It carries forth and improves the features every blog owner uses and needs, and enhances others that blog owners didn't THINK they needed but now will. :-) If you're still editing your blog posts in a Web interface, embrace MarsEdit and the power of a full Mac app for your editing. You'll save time, frustration, and energy.
The best got better with version 4.
Astonishingly polished, performant, and fully featured
When I downloaded MarsEdit 4 this morning my jaw hit the floor at the depth and polish of the design improvements the fine folks at Red Sweater have delivered. I was expecting an incremental improvement in the performance and user experience, but this app shows the power of years - more than a decade, in fact - of slow iterative improvements. MarsEdit is a triump of focus on the developer’s part and when people ask me for fine examples of Mac OS development projects I will point first to MarsEdit 4. I cannot recommend it highly enough. 2 million stars, perhaps, would be enough.
Essential and Polished
This is a very polished and well crafted. It is easy to use and having a Mac based client to write from rather than some web based interface is spectacular. It quickly made a local store of all the elements in my blog. Now that it has a free trial, it is a no brainer to try this out. I am in the process of moving content to a new blog host in order to make use of Mars Edit. Its that good.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.