Marvin Side-by-Side is a special version of Marvin that helps you manage a second library, and read or study two books at the same time (1). SxS works great with devices that support Split View and Slide over.
- Includes all the features in the regular version of Marvin.
- Keep a second library, great for shared devices in the family (1).
- Read or study two books side-by-side using Slide Over and Split View (1, 2).
- SxS libraries can be protected using a password and Touch ID.
- Easily transfer books to and from Marvin.
Here are a few highlights of this release:
- Built from scratch with a brand new interface.
- Opens DRM-free EPUB books, CBX, and CBR comics.
- Supports all the latest iOS technologies including Split View, Slide Over, Spotlight, Touch ID, Today Widgets, iCloud, and iPad Pro.
- High-fidelity rendering with the most comprehensive set of customization options you're likely to use.
- Multi-theme UI with optional automatic light/dark switching.
- Vertical scrolling with auto scroll, guide bars, and edge tapping.
- Goodreads integration.
- Karaoke (speed reading).
- External Bluetooth keyboard and remote control support including customizable key commands for in-book navigation and control.
- Side-load your own fonts.
- Reading statistics.
- New library viewing modes and management tools.
- Quick launch panel on iPad.
- Fully customizable, independent, portrait and landscape multi column modes.
- Whole book page numbering.
- Substantially improved highlighting.
- Footnote popups.
- Photo exporer.
- Reading journal with photos, tags, and maps.
- Extensive import and export tools.
(1) the second library and side-by-side reading requires the corresponding Marvin 3 app.
(2) works best on devices that support Split View and Slide Over.
Visit appstafarian.com for a complete and impressive feature list.
Marvin SxS opens DRM-free EPUB books (basic support for 3.0), and CBZ/CBR comics.
If you're into DRM-free books, we worked hard to make Marvin the best way to enjoy them.
This update includes:
* New: Improved compatibility with iOS 11 and latest devices.
* Fixed: Dropbox connectivity problems.
* Updated: Improved Dropbox sync performance.
* Updated: Improved performance of image effects in comic viewer.
* Fixed: Display artefacts on latest devices and system software.
* Updated: Twitter and Facebook share sheets replaced by system share sheet +++
* Miscellaneous performance improvements and fixes.
+++ From iOS 11 onwards, native Twitter and Facebook share sheets need to be replaced with the standard system share sheet. To post you will need the official Twitter and/or Facebook apps installed.
Thanks a lot to everyone who took the time to submit a bug report and provide feedback.
Ratings and Reviews
The best e-reader since Stanza
I love this app. Easy. Functional. Classic layout. Intuitive design. Fast. Any book seems to load flawlessly and effortlessly.
I am mystified as to why there are only 14 reviews. I saw where one person said the developer had given up on the app. I can only say that I very much hope that is wrong and that the developer is very much still involved. I’d hate to think this app might not work eventually.
I run this app on an iPhone XS MAX and also on a first year iPad Pro. The app runs flawlessly on both.
I use to use Stanza long long ago when us early adopters knew every app in the tiny al store. I’ve used other apps since Stanza’s demise. I used iBooks a lot, but this last iOS was the final straw that pushed me to no longer use iBooks except to import web stuff as a pdf. iBooks constantly loses every book when updated. It no longer allows you to copy things from it in iTunes. Instead of getting broader and more open, iBooks gets more and more limited. I’ve searched for what feels like eons for an app that I fully trust and love. Fir me, that’s this app.
If the developer keeps the app updated, I’d happily pay $9.99 for this. Yep. It’s that great.
The best ebook reader available
I've been a big Marvin fan done the last version, and this version is much better than its predecessor. The SxS version is an interesting twist — basically a second copy of the same app so that you can have totally separate libraries under separate icons. I use the second copy for my technical books, while the main copy of Marvin holds my pleasure reading fiction and nonfiction.
I was disappointed by the lackluster support for ePub 3 files. Specifically I have some video epubs from A Book Apart that don't render well at all — the video shots bleed over onto the next page and aren't usable, while actually blocking pages. For those few books I have to use iBooks, which I would otherwise be perfectly happy to get rid of.
Also, a nicer page turn animation would be nice, but that's a minor complaint.
MARVIN SxS - BEST EPUB READER TO DATE
Marvin SxS is not complicated. It is sophisticated, flexible, customizable, and beautiful. One reviewer complained about being “required” to pay extra for color schemes. How much were you gouged? About the price of a cup of coffee? The custom themes are not required to use Marvin SxS. However they do add a nice touch. I have zero connection with the developer and I would have gladly paid triple for this app and its themes. Developers who produce elegant and powerful apps (like Marvin SxS) deserve to be supported. Look at the current state of apps in the app store. So many are for children and suckers. When an app like Marvin SxS appears, where it is clear the developer put his/her soul into it, I am grateful. …..If you appreciate a digital book beautifully displayed no app currently does it better then Marvin SxS.
- Appstafarian Limited
- 86.4 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2013-2016 Appstafarian Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Fabulous Tip $4.99
- Generous Tip $0.99
- Amazing Tip $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.