Mast is a beautiful Mastodon app built with iOS design guidelines in mind. It’s as feature-packed as it is gorgeous. With customizable content and themes, it’s most definitely the perfect choice.
The stunning timelines make reading the latest content a joy, and tapping the on-screen elements gives you a wonderful haptic response. Long-holding anywhere in the app quickly lets you toggle themes, and Siri Shortcuts let you do the same, and more. Awesome.
We’ve also thrown in some cool things like 3D Touch support, Today Extension, Share Extensions, iMessage Stickers, a Watch app, Siri Shortcuts, and an iPad app! We hope you enjoy using Mast.
“What is Mastodon?”, you may ask. Well, it’s a federated and decentralized social network. Think of it as email, where you can choose your provider, yet talk with almost anyone from anywhere regardless of their choices. The instances on Mastodon give users freedom to find their community, whilst allowing everyone to talk with each other with the level of visibility that they want. The content warning feature makes it safer, and the 500 character count makes it far more expressible. It’s what microblogging should have always been.
- Beautiful and clean interface
- Fast and lightweight
- Light mode (day), dark mode (dusk), darker mode (night) and true black dark mode (midnight) themes (you could even set up Siri Shortcuts to do this for you magically)
- Themes and customization
- Supercharged toot composition screen with a powerful media gallery, text styling options, ASCII text face insertion, instance emoticons, now playing content insertion, picture pasting, and user autocomplete
- Browse and add GIFs to toots when composing
- Powerful media app-drawer with a gallery slider, and drag-and-drop deletion
- Supercharged media viewer and Picture-in-Picture videos that can be dragged around
- Swipe actions to like/boost/reply (swipe right)
- Swipe actions to mute/block/report/translate/share (swipe left)
- Alt image text addition and viewing support
- Pinch the screen anywhere to toot a screenshot
- Translate toots
- Threaded toot conversations
- Notifications and activity
- List creation support
- View pinned and liked toots
- View muted and blocked users
- Gorgeous profiles with links
- Dynamic hashtags, related, and user search
- Adjustable segments
- Instance emoticons display and composition support
- Account locking and follower requests
- Customizable gestures
- iPad app with multiple columns
- Hardware keyboard shortcuts
- 3D Touch Peek and Pop
- 3D Touch Quick Actions
- Today Extension
- Share Extensions for Photos and Safari
- Siri Shortcuts
- Watch app with timelines and profile, works over cellular
- Cute iMessage stickers
- Joyful haptics and alerts
- Real time streaming
- Push notifications
- Subtle volume indicator
- Dynamic app icon changing
- Useful settings to customize as you see fit
(Requires a Mastodon account)
We’re constantly evolving and crafting Mast to create the perfect Mastodon app for you. If you have any suggestions or feedback, we’d love to hear it! Come visit us on Mastodon or our Twitter page, and let’s craft an incredible toot browsing experience together.
Is it pronounced GIF or GIF? Either way, you can now search for the perfect one to respond with. Happy days.
- Added the ability to browse and add GIFs to toots when composing
- Added the ability to view profile header images by tapping the header
- Improved custom emoticons rendering
- Fixed issue where images wouldn't upload via the Share Extension
- Fixed crash when interacting with toots from other instances
- Fixed issue where you couldn't log out via the iPad app
- Fixed issue where profile actions would take a while to load
Mast never prompts you for a review because we believe browsing your timeline should be a distraction-free experience. If you feel generous and have some time to spare, please consider leaving a review. It helps more than you can imagine. Thank you! :)
Ratings and Reviews
Very promising, pleasant to use, minor snags yet
I've been using Mast for a few days so far, and it's been quite great! The interface feels well thought out and behaves as I'd expect it to. It supports the Mastodon features you need (message privacy, CW's, sensitivity and textual descriptions for pictures), and feels pleasant and fast.
Some toothing problems in this revision, but I expect they'll get fixed soon!
* the "activity" view crashes very often
* you can use the app one handed! Great when waiting in line: double-tap images to zoom, throw them away to dismiss; unfortunately, dismissing animated GIFs requires stretching your thumb all the way to the X in the far left corner (Mast does picture in picture, which seems neat but I don't use it)
* It still loses scroll state on occasion (but is pretty good at retaining the position usually!)
* content-warning posts, once revealed, can't be closed again; the only way I found to do that has been to scroll away, which restores the warning (weirdly: I've seen background refreshes restore the content warning without any interaction from me)
Overall, I think this app is more than worth the price! Once the crasher bugs are fixed, I'd absolutely recommend using it for anyone's Mastodon needs!
Just needs a little more baking - pretty app tho
Really slick interface. Nice theme customizations. Love the ASCII emojis. Keyword search and saved Search TL is really needed—see Tootdon. Although other instances can be saved, Search is limited to Hashtags, Related and Users. Related actually just displays a blank screen. Since it's under regular development, bugs will likely be addressed.
[Update v1.2.2] Crashes are fewer, not completely fixed. Notification tab should default to Activity, not Mention. Search functionality still limited—not saved, no delete 'x' in Search box, blank Related screen. Sometimes has issues posting photos and hangs. Timeline refresh issues include losing place after reply, wonky refreshing require multiple pulls to refresh.
I’m sorry you feel that way about some aspects of the app, hoping to improve it all very soon! Mastodon only provides a method of searching for hashtags/related/users which is why there’s no ‘true search’ implementation. The next update (coming very soon) will address many of the rest.
Promising but needs a bit of work
It works well for browsing Mastodon but it eschews the default layout of toots which is a bit annoying. I wish boost/favorite buttons appeared by default instead of having to swipe to get to them, and sometimes I can’t see whole threads when viewing a subtoot. The biggest issues are notifications and crashing when I try to view activity for my profile; Amaroq and Tootdon has these issues as well. Notifications worked great up until a week ago but now they’re gone which is a bit annoying.
- Shihab Mehboob
- 44.2 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2018 Shihab Mehboob.
- In-App Purchases
- Mastodon Tip $9.99
- Calf Tip $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.