By Carstens Studios Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
* 2012 Parents' Choice Gold Award winner - Parents' Choice Foundation
* 2012 Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - Children'sTechnology Review *
"Daren says that he “designs Math Doodles to provide a place where anyone can discover the joy, wonder, and fun of mathematics.” My family would say that he’s succeeded in doing just that."
- The iPhone Mom
"Beautiful, fun, and engaging! I think it is a must have for a classroom set of iPads, and it's a beautiful example of what math games should be."
- Game Lab Mom
It wasn't until after my school years, that I became a lover of math. I managed to slip through all of those classes, text books, and homework assignments, without learning one of the most important math lessons of all. Math IS FUN!
I design Math Doodles to provide a place where anyone can discover the joy, wonder, and fun of mathematics.
This version of "Math Doodles" introduces four challenges plus an additional functional sneak peek challenge that will be made available in it's finished form in a future free update. Each Challenge provides plenty of mathematical practice, within a recreational math setting. The mathematical puzzles allow users to play, explore, and experiment with mathematical concepts, while developing and strengthening their strategy and problem solving skills. Math Doodles challenges are designed to allow for multiple solutions and strategies. There isn't only one correct answer.
1. Sums Stackers: Values are piled into three stacks. Each stack is randomly assigned a target sum. Move values and sets of values around with the tip of your finger from stack to stack until the sums of each stack equal the target sums represented at the bottom of the screen. The values can be represented in 22 different ways that vary in their level of abstraction: preschoolers might start with the fingers, dice or ringlets, because they can be easily counted, while older children or adults can find a challenge with coins, roman numerals, the word spelled in Spanish, or even binary.
2. Connect Sums: Users develop their number sense by trying to clear series of random values presented in a 4x4 array. Selected values are cleared when their sum equals the target sum. Users can choose from 22 different value representations and two levels of difficulty.
3. Unknown Square: Users begin to explore algebraic thinking by developing strategies to solve for unknowns found in a 3x3 array of values. Horizontal, vertical, and diagonal sums for the values are shown.
4. Splat Go Round : Users develop an understanding for rotations by experiencing math in action. Users rotate a fly swatter to splat a target fly. Users can choose from several rotational modes including clock hours, clock minutes, angles, and fractions.
5. Sneak Peek Challenge - Pattern Twist : Develop spatial visualization of patterns while solving this Math Doodle puzzle.
1. Solve Mode: Strategically solve five random sets in the fewest number of moves.
2. Infinity Mode: Play as long as you wish.
3. Race Mode: Rack up as many points as you can solving puzzles, before time runs out.
Each challenge has an easy mode and a hard mode:
VALUE REPRESENTATION OPTIONS FOR THE FIRST 3 CHALLENGES:
- Hole Tiles
- Ten Frames
- Tally Marks
- Spanish Tally Marks
- Roman Numerals
- Chinese Numbers
- Arabic Numbers
- Gurmukhi Numbers
- Hebrew Numbers
- Hindi Numbers
- Binary Numbers
- English Words
- Spanish Words
- Math Prefixes
- US Coins
- US Dollars
- Area Fractions
- Bar Fractions
- Number & Operations
- Number Sense
- Time and Clocks
- Problem Solving
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Math Enjoyment
More Math Doodle apps:
SYMMETRY SHUFFLE - iPad
SUMS STACKER - iPhone
CONNECT SUMS - iPhone
What's New in Version 1.0.5
Fixes options menu picker conflict with iOS 7.0.3
Oodles of Fun
This app has 4 games. These games have many, many customizable features to increase the level of challenge. The games are cleverly designed. The options add a variety of challenging and whimsical features to gampelay. The kindergarteners in my class could do the lower levels of the games. I see how the options would allow for older children to play these games. Some levels would be fun and amusing for high school children and adults. The artwork for the app is cool, too. The games are great, but what really makes this app fantastic are all of the different ways you can play the game by choosing different items/symbols to use as alternative to numerals.
Love it, love it, love it!
We moved schools and needed an engaging way to help my child catch up with students in her new class. You can choose difficulty along with symbols used to suit your child. It's creative, fun and best of all, my child loves it. We play together and fight over who gets to answer. She is in second grade and aware of anything that is too babyish. It's bright and entertaining for children without being too childish. It also covers content for older children, and some content, I even find challenging. Very flexible app! Hands down one of the best apps I have ever downloaded. Love it, love it, love it. Worth every penny and more!
Math Doodles is great
We’ve loved playing Math Doodles, Sum Stacker, and Symmetry Shuffle since we got our first iDevice. The hand-drawn graphics are so much fun, and the concept is so unique and challenging. Highly recommended for your app library! We recently came back to Math Doodles with my younger daughter who has been more resistant to math games. She was entranced! She said that she could play it all day, everyday! So, something about the visual presentation of the math equations really spoke to her way of learning and comprehending the content. Thanks for continuing to update and develop this excellent app!
- Category: Education
- Updated: Nov 05, 2013
- Version: 1.0.5
- Size: 76.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Carstens Studios Inc.
- © 2012 Carstens Studios Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.