MBTA Rail provides experienced Boston commuters with as much information as possible about the location and status of their trains. This app is designed for seasoned commuters who are already familiar with their line schedule.
• Near real-time location information (next stop, current stop, GPS location, predicted arrival time, and vehicle speed)
• Boarding track numbers
• See your train on a map along with other trains along your route
• View historical coach numbers, boarding tracks, and average on time percentages
• Crowd-sourced information. Is a prediction wrong? Train delayed mid-trip? Wondering if your train is standing room only? Discuss through the "Reports" button next to each trip
• Full schedule view with predicted arrival times for each stop
• Service alerts (delays, cancellations, track changes, etc.)
• Clean, user-friendly, and ad-free interface
Note: data is sourced directly from the MBTA's real-time feeds which is collected using PTIS equipment installed on the trains. We don't make any predictions ourselves; this app is simply an interface for the MBTA's data. This app is as accurate as the MBTA's data allows us to be.
We are NOT affiliated with the MBTA, Keolis, or MassDOT. Follow us on Twitter at @MBTARailTracker for updates.
Added comment bubbles next to each trip that has report(s). Click on the bubble to go directly to the reports screen instead of tapping into the trip first.
Ratings and Reviews
The best commuter rail app!
I just started taking the commuter rail and this app has saved me so much time and frustration. Not only does it surface delays so I don’t wait outside on the track, but the Reporting feature allows passengers to share real-time updates on specific trains. This morning there was a long delay due to a disabled train, but a “mystery train” showed up and was running 5 minutes ahead. Was able to track that status through other passengers and actually get a window seat.
To the developer, I’d love the ability to sort or filter by inbound/outbound trains, since I’m only ever looking at one direction.
Boarding info not showing
Issue has since been fixed - 5 stars because I love this app!
For the last couple of days the “boarding on track” info hasn’t been showing. Is this an app glitch or an MBTA issue? If it’s app-related, can you fix it? This app is my lifeline!
Developer Response ,
This was an issue with the MBTA’s data and has since been fixed!
Be a commuter rail insider
This app is the perfect combination of schedule data and crowdsourced comments. If you want to know exactly what’s causing a delay, up to the minute, this is it. Also great for knowing what track a train is departing from way before it’s announced. But shh, don’t tell TOO many people!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.