By Smuggly Systems Intergalactic
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
McGuire - an investment and expansion strategy game.
The aim of the game is to earn the most money by building and merging corporations.
When a corporation is acquired by a larger corporation, players earn money based on the size of the acquired corporation. At the end of the game, all shares are sold and the player with the most money wins.
- Single player vs 3 computer players.
- Adjust game speed.
- Adjust game volume.
The following features are available on iOS versions 4.1 and above:
- Game center enabled.
- High score leader board.
What's New in Version 1.0.1
fixes a crash on iPad and earlier iOS versions
True to original
I found this app to be true to the original game and fun. I have had no trouble distinguishing the colors as another reviewer had. The AI is decent and it is a very fun game to play and one of my favorite game apps. My only complaint is that it crashes a lot. I am running the newest firmware (4.1 I think) and using a 3G. Maybe it is my older phone, but I wish it wouldn't crash so much. In order for the game to work properly, I have to restart my phone and start the game from that point. If I have been using the phone for any other purpose prior, the crash rate is 100%, usually about mid game. If it wouldn't crash so much, I would give it 5 stars. It really should have a 2 or 3 star rating because it does crash so much, but it is well designed, so I gave it a 4. Hope this helps both the purchaser and the designer.
Bare bones, but works
Since there doesn't seem to be anyplace on the author's site to provide specific feedback, I'll have to do it here. The game works fine, but there could be many improvements to the usability that would make it much better:
- allow players to choose the color of their pawn,
- make the colors of the pawns clearly different from the colors of the hotel chains,
- highlight each newly played tile as it's placed (color the icon black temporarily?),
- change the house icon to something more hotel-like or get rid of the icon altogether,
- show the location of my unplayable tiles (mark with a gray x or a dot or something),
- offer to exchange unplayable tiles for new playable ones (per the original rules),
- in the Detail table, add a row showing the size of each chain (and perhaps highlight safe chains),
- in the Detail table, highlight the human's row (light shading?), and
- when selling stock (normally, or after a merger), allow players to change their mind before clicking on Done, either by reverting to the original situation, or better, by allowing them to reverse their choices bit by bit.
Good first version!
This knock-off of the board game Acquire is extremely well done. The interface is great, and the AI is superb.
I agree with others that some improvements would be beneficial -- such as having different colors for players vs hotel chains, separating the listing of bank holding from player holdings, the ability to change your mind before clicking on "Done", etc. The only flaw that really detracts from proper strategy and game play, in my opinion, is the inability to see temporarily unplayable tiles. (Couldn't those easily be make to show up in grey?)
All said though, I think this app is superbly done. And for just 99 cents it's a steal!
- Category: Games
- Updated: Oct 20, 2010
- Version: 1.0.1
- Size: 2.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Andrew Williams
- © 2010 Smuggly Systems Intergalactic
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.