Mediasite Mobile App
By Sonic Foundry, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Watch Mediasite video content wherever you are with the Mediasite Mobile App. For lectures, webcasts, training, tutorials and presentations, the app brings Mediasite's interactive rich video experience to your iPhone or iPod.
With Mediasite Mobile App you can:
- Watch live and on-demand Mediasite content on your iPhone or iPod
- Experience rich video synchronized with related content like slides
- Pinpoint the information you need quickly with thumbnail navigation and keyword search
- Browse and search Mediasite Showcase or Mediasite Catalogs for video content
- Maintain a list of recently viewed Mediasite Showcases, catalogs and videos
- Use a WiFi or cellular connection to watch content
- Manage settings - Clear cookies, cache and recently viewed items
What's New in Version 2.1
- Support for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus screen sizes.
- Support for portrait orientation (requires iOS 7.0 or greater).
- Ability to upload video when My Mediasite is launched from the mobile Showcase layout.
- Bug fixes.
Stunningly Poor UI Design
I tried using this to watch lecture videos posted by my Engineering graduate school, and the lecture video itself winds up being just larger than my thumb, and cannot be full-screened. No kidding. There are literally more pixels dedicated to the player controls than to the actual video. Beyond that, there's an icon in the bottom right corner that is really easy to accidentally hit when trying to use the controls, and guess what it does? It suddenly flips from app to Safari, and takes you to Mediasite's website. Just what I wanted. Why would a user (a graduate student in this case with zero buying power or influence at any institution that could buy their horrible product) want to disappear their video, lose their place in the video, and interrupt everything to be spammed by an advertisement for the app that just infuriated them? Wow. Stunning.
Works great on iPod touch and iPhone
The app isn't perfect, but isn't completely flawed either. Most of these issues are configuration-related.
I was able to recreate the problems users were experiencing. If folder permissions are not configured properly on the client side, then many users will run into these errors. Urge your university admins to confirm they have set up publishing points on IIS to enable output to Apple mobile devices and at least one of the "On Demand" file types is MP4.
Also, the Multiview Player seems to work the best. Improvements should be made to the Full Experience player.
I can get to my class lectures but they're all out of order. I have to click through all of them to find the most recent. Come on guys, it's not hard to sort by time stamp.
It's also impossible to download lectures for offline playback. Like... if I wanted to walk my dog and listen to a lecture.
When my school switched to Mediasite students got the crap end of that stick. I'm really disappointed. I have a lot of issues with desktop playback too (out of the scope of this review). I would never recommend mediasite and I'm going to complain to my school about it
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Dec 29, 2014
- Version: 2.1
- Size: 1.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Sonic Foundry, Inc.
- © Sonic Foundry, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.