This tool is the digital version of the MEC Wheel. It contains the medical eligibility criteria for starting use of contraceptive methods, based on Medical Eligibility Criteria for Contraceptive Use, 5th edition (2015), one of WHO’s evidence-based guidelines. It guides family planning providers in recommending safe and effective contraception methods for women with medical conditions or medically-relevant characteristics.
The tool includes recommendations on initiating use of nine common types of contraceptive methods:
1. Combined pills, COC (low dose combined oral contraceptives, with ≤ 35 μg ethinyl estradiol)
2. Combined contraceptive patch, P
3. Combined contraceptive vaginal ring, CVR
4. Combined injectable contraceptives, CIC
5. Progestogen-only pills, POP
6. Progestogen-only injectables, DMPA (IM,SC)/NET-EN (depot medroxyprogesterone acetate intramuscular or subcutaneous or norethisterone enantate intramuscular)
7. Progestogen-only implants, LNG/ETG (levonorgestrel or etonogestrel)
8. Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine device, LNG-IUD
9. Copper-bearing intrauterine device, Cu-IUD
- OUT2BOUND LTD EOOD
- 14.8 MB
- Requires iOS 11.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Frequent/Intense Medical/Treatment Information
- Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © World Health Organization
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.