Merlin Bird ID by Cornell Lab of Ornithology
By Cornell University
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
What's that bird? Merlin Bird ID helps you solve the mystery in 5 questions, or with a photo of a bird.
First, Merlin asks you a few simple questions. Then, almost like magic, it reveals the list of birds that best match your description. Pick your bird, then delve into more photos, sounds, and ID tips about your bird!
If you have a photo, Merlin can help there as well. Take a photo, or choose one from your photo gallery, and Merlin will offer a list of birds that best match your photo.
Merlin is fun and easy to use—whether you’re curious about a bird you’ve seen once or you’re hoping to identify every bird that comes to your feeder. The answers are waiting for you with this free app from the renowned Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
• Merlin will now identify a photo. Select your photo, tell Merlin where and when you took it, and you'll see a short list of suggested identifications.
• Download bird packs containing the species of your region, reducing the app size.
• Created for beginning and intermediate bird watchers, Merlin identifies the 650 most common bird species in the United States and Canada (excluding Hawaii).
• Intelligent results. No more scanning through hundreds of possibilities! Merlin shows the birds near you that fit your description.
• Customized location and date tools generate best answers for your neighborhood and time of year.
• Powered by eBird to deliver the most accurate results based on millions of sightings from bird watchers across North America.
• Enjoy more than 3,000 photos of birds, including males, females, and juveniles.
• Learn ID tips from Cornell Lab of Ornithology experts.
• Listen to beautiful bird songs and calls from the Macaulay Library at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
• It’s all free! The Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s goal is to help you and millions of others to learn about birds.
Merlin Bird ID currently includes Bird Pack downloads for the United States including: Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Rocky Mountains, Southwest, Texas and Oklahoma, Alaska, and West Coast. Canada is covered by Eastern Canada and Western Canada packs.
What's New in Version 1.2.1
Merlin 1.2.1 includes many behind-the-scenes tweaks and fixes that pave the way for new features and Bird Packs in the near future including:
- Spanish language support
- new map legend to support upcoming Bird Packs
1.2 THE PHOTO ID UPDATE
We partnered with computer vision scientists at Cornell Tech and Caltech to bring you a new way to identify your mystery birds. Take a photo, load one from your camera roll, or even snap a shot of the viewfinder of your camera, and Merlin will show you a list of suggestions, complete with the photos, audio, ID text and maps you expect from Merlin
Great birding tool
I really love this app. I'm a beginner birder, and this app is easy to use and has helped me learn to identify more birds :)
A Great Tool
Easy to use and seems pretty dependable!Had an opportunity to get back into birding after a long hiatus and this app allows you to appear more knowledgeable than you actually are. Seriously, it makes walking trails a lot more fun.
Exactly what I wanted
If you need to identify a bird at your feeder this is the thing for you
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 02, 2017
- Version: 1.2.1
- Size: 42.3 MB
- Languages: English, Spanish
- Seller: Cornell University
- © Cornell University
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.