Merriam-Webster Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary. Completely ad-free and with offline search, this is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions and synonyms whether or not you’re connected. You will need a connection to view illustrations, hear audio pronunciations, and use voice search.
Selected as a "Best New App" by iTunes.
* Universal app
* No ads
* Full Thesaurus: more than 200,000 word choices, examples, and explanations
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
* Premium Content: over 1000 graphical illustrations, and over 20,000 additional entries covering people, places, and foreign terms
What's New in Version 4.0.3
Sound bug fixed.
Very valuable tool, but....!
Miriam Webster's has done it again. I have been a regular user of the hardcopy versions for decades. And I have to say, I was somewhat skeptical at first about going to an electronic version of it. I didn't think it would have as many entries as the hard copy. But I have been impressed every time I use the app. It's been so convenient to have a reliable electronic copy right at my fingertips, literally! This is worth every penny you spend on it.
However, I can't say the same for their other features. They offer a few games, presumably, “learning games.” But the tests do not allow for enough visual scope. A player can't see the information in the featured boxes. When the time is up, or even when the game is paused, text is not visible enough for the player so he/she can actually LEARN from each test. Things move too quickly and text boxes are too obscured to allow vocabulary improvement, as if the intent of the game is to make it as hard as possible to keep up with it, and that without allowing the player to actually learn anything.
While fully recommend the dictionary and other resources Merriam Webster offers, they have much to improve on their educational games.
The only dictionary on my phone
I have used the hard copy of M-W's Collegiate Dictionary in school. When I saw that they have release the iPhone version, I immediately downloaded it. Wanted to support M-W, I soon paid for the pro version. I really like it. With the recent updates, it has games that will help one learn words in a fun and engaging way. I do wish that M-W would someday have a crossword app. The reasons I didn't give it a 5 star are 2. First, I wish they have a build in vocabulary builder that will help me to learn and memorize the words I looked up. You can find lots of individual vocabulary builder apps but they are detached from the words I look up so less useful. Second, after I purchased the pro-version, I think M-W changed their license model and made it more like a subscription. I am totally fine supporting them but I wish they had made that switch more clear to the users who already paid before.
The most efficacious pathway to achieving an unassailable and useful English vocabulary.
I have been using a Webster English dictionary (book) since first stepping onto the shore of my new homeland: the remarkable and generous United States of America. Transitioning from the Spanish language to my new primary language was made almost infinitely easier by a brand new Spanish-English dictionary given to me by my Mother.
That dictionary facilitated my learning of the English language so well that within 10 months I was able to converse effectively with all my new friends in America. So today I continue to be instructed in English via the Merriam-Webster dictionary app. It was worth every penny 45 years ago (in book form, of course!) and continues to be as affordable and efficacious today.
Get it today and become a powerful and effective communicator with the magnificently beautiful world all around!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 01, 2017
- Version: 4.0.3
- Size: 132 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Seller: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- © 2015 Merriam-Webster Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.