Merriam-Webster Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Merriam-Webster, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. This is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions and synonyms whether or not you’re connected. You will need a connection to view illustrations, hear audio pronunciations, and use voice search.
Selected as a "Best New App" by iTunes.
* Universal app
* No ads
* Full Thesaurus: more than 200,000 word choices, examples, and explanations
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
* Premium Content: over 1000 graphical illustrations, and over 20,000 additional entries covering people, places, and foreign terms
What's New in Version 4.2
Quality of life improvements and bug fixes.
M-W Defends The English Language
I switched from the Oxford dictionary app I previously had for what might appear to be political reasons yet is actually a non-partisan one: defense of word definitions. When President Trump began tweeting out non-sensical statements that twisted or hollowed out the very meaning of certain words he was trying to use in an Orwellian manner, M-W would tweet out a response that focused on the actual definition of the word in defense of meaningful language. It may have appeared partisan to some, but to me it was a simple & timely reminder that words are not empty vessels. They are not window dressing. They are the window itself and attempts to use them to communicate in a way that is deliberately counter to their actual meaning effectively gaslights an entire language & the very culture that relies on it. I am happy with the app, & even happier supporting a company that recognizes that defending the meaning of words is to defend its core reason for being. Thank you M-W.
Content amazing, app less so
Developers: Your dictionary is a superior product content-wise to everything else in the App Store. Will you PLEASE update your app to support Split View (and by extension Slide Over)? The fact that there has been an entire iOS cycle and this has not been addressed is shameful. And honestly it is making you less useful to those of us who write for a living on iOS. If I have to close out of my writing every time I want to use the dictionary (which is often, I can’t overstate how much I love the M-W dictionary), it costs me time. Please, please help me delete all other dictionaries from my devices. Or at least respond to this and tell me it is never going to happen so I can learn to love someone else. Thank you.
Easy to use, fun, and full of knowledge
It's a much better dictionary than most of the free or crowd-sourced dictionaries, it offers timely, updated language and offers greater insight into words. I love the easy pronunciation button, the history of the words, and the "Where did you hear this word" comments left by users. You can easily switch between the dictionary and a great thesaurus as well! On top of the essential dictionary/thesaurus function, there are explanatory blogs, and quizzes and games to improve and/or test your vocabulary. I use this app nearly every day!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jul 11, 2017
- Version: 4.2
- Size: 177 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Seller: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- © 2017 Merriam-Webster Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.