Merriam-Webster Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. This is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions and synonyms whether or not you’re connected. You will need a connection to view illustrations, hear audio pronunciations, and use voice search.
Selected as a "Best New App" by iTunes.
* Universal app
* No ads
* Full Thesaurus: more than 200,000 word choices, examples, and explanations
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
* Premium Content: over 1000 graphical illustrations, and over 20,000 additional entries covering people, places, and foreign terms
What's New in Version 4.1.1
New voice recognition software.
Bug fixes and other improvements.
Fantastic!! 10 Stars!!
I've had this app for years & have had absolutely NO problems with it whatsoever. I like to consider myself well versed & well spoken, but I still use this app a couple of times a week at the very least! If I could give the developers 10 stars I certainly would. I would recommend this app to ALL! I've already recommended it to many friends and family, who've also downloaded it and are as pleased with it as I am!!
Thanks very much for your fine work!!!
Well, I've nothing much new to say here folks since my last review. (Above) In my humble & somewhat uneducated opinion, this app is just great & certainly does exactly what I've come to expect from it! Sure, there are words in the English language which aren't listed within this app. But this is just that-an app!! If you need more information than can be found within this app, perhaps it's time to pick up an old fashioned, hard bound BOOK!! I've checked & found they're still available! So again, in my humble opinion, please don't mess it up with an unnecessary upgrade as far too many apps often do?!! For me @ least, it isn't broken, so please, please don't fix it!! Keep up the fantastic work!! Many, many thanks to the hard working developers & please keep up the great work!!!
I like it
I guess I am a casual user. I'm not using it to write a paper or do important research. I use it to try to spot words that I don't really know and sometimes I find words I have never heard of, which is fun. I will look up words that I've known, then forgotten, over the years, just because I don't use them much. Sometimes I use a word and then look it up to see if I actually got it right and I am always happy to find that I did. I really like the immediacy of using this app because I'm a great believer in looking up a word as fast as I can when I first hear a new word used and I'm not sure of its meaning. It is really convenient to have a Dictionary app in my phone because if I had to actually locate a book I wouldn't look up even half of the words i'm not sure of. I like this app the way it is; If it is improved upon, I think it should be a new all inclusive academic app ( and, actually, I think there is a more advanced dictionary app choice, but I like this one).
I am a long-time user of another on-line dictionary, but when I discovered the superior definitions and word histories within M-W, I switched right away!
I agree with NASA Aerospace Engineer's four main points, and I would like to expand upon point number one. I would love to see an unabridged version of M-W, with a complete explication of word origins, usages, root words, affixes (i.e., prefixes and suffixes) with their meanings, and conjugations. I would also like to see the proper pronunciation of the Greek, Hebrew, Latin, French, Old French, Old English (e.g., King Alfred's Grammar), Middle English (e.g., Geoffrey Chaucer) etc., words that they originated from. And, if you use an obscure word(s) in your definition — IT SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN YOUR DICTIONARY!!!
I realize that this a lot to ask for, but these are upgrades I would be willing to pay for. Thank you for listening to my rant.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Apr 25, 2017
- Version: 4.1.1
- Size: 148 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Seller: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- © 2015 Merriam-Webster Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.