Merriam-Webster Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary. Completely ad-free and with offline search, this is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions and synonyms whether or not you’re connected. You will need a connection to view illustrations, hear audio pronunciations, and use voice search.
Selected as a "Best New App" by iTunes.
* Universal app
* No ads
* Full Thesaurus: more than 200,000 word choices, examples, and explanations
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
* Premium Content: over 1000 graphical illustrations, and over 20,000 additional entries covering people, places, and foreign terms
What's New in Version 4.0.3
Sound bug fixed.
I really like the new app. The combination of the dictionary and thesaurus being right next to each word is great. Can't imagine using anything else. I grew up using Webster. Thank you for providing a great app.
I love the 'word of the day' feature. It defines words that I didn't even know existed.
Many thanks to the developers for this app! It has everything I could have wanted from a dictionary, including a thesaurus and multiple vocabulary games. As a college student, this app is indispensable and I really appreciate how well it works.
With that said, I absolutely LOVE the fact that I can get definitions and proper spelling right on my Watch. The fact that I don't have to reach for my phone or even a dictionary when working is fairly liberating. If you have an Apple Watch, this app is practically essential.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 01, 2017
- Version: 4.0.3
- Size: 132 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Seller: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- © 2015 Merriam-Webster Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.