By Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. This is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions whether or not you’re connected.
* Universal App
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Integrated Thesaurus: synonyms & antonyms are included with the dictionary
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
Fully featured and absolutely free, this app is supported by ads. You can remove ads for $1.99 per year with an in-app purchase. Prices vary by location. Your subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription period. You can manage your subscription in your account settings.
What's New in Version 4.1
Sound bug fixed.
New voice recognition.
A genuine Merriam-Webster
The name Webster alone is no guarantee of excellence. It is used by a number of publishers and may serve mainly to mislead an unwary buyer.
A Merriam-Webster is the registered trademark you should look for when you consider the purchase of dictionaries or other fine reference books. It carries the reputation of a company that has been publishing since 1831 and is your assurance of quality and authority. I have looked up the word "smegma" in every dictionary I come across and the only one that has the definition is the Merriam-Websters dictionary. the Oxford, Random house, nor the plethora of fake "Websters" dictionaries have the definition. I like the word games that come with this app. They are challenging and fun to play while learning new words and building your vocabulary.
ESL/EFL Successful Engagement
I'm an English teacher (12 yrs exp.) to students in a foreign country who grew up speaking a VERY different language and are expected to translate long lists of words usually 100 words every day as evidence of mastery of the English language. They hate it. I teach a class of 11th grade students who tested at a mid-low level and have been grouped together; they've been studying English since preschool and still don't quite get it. I required each of them to download this app, and told them that if they could advance a level in a vocabulary game, I'd give them some extra credit. Everyone was energetically engaged in vocabulary acquisition. It was a beautiful scene, and, quite possibly, my happiest day of teaching ever.
Reliable and Educational
I love the Merriam-Webster dictionary app. I have used t for years in college and I still use today. Besides the occasional reset, the app is fully stocked with the English language and even relevant foreign words, such as many Latin terms used in scholarship. They keep it interesting with word of the day and even games to test or increase your vocabulary. When it comes to writing essays, always favorite/save the words you have to look up so that when your looking for that technical term you have them all on a list on your M-W app. One of the most useful apps I've ever downloaded.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 21, 2017
- Version: 4.1
- Size: 156 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Seller: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- © 2015 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Remove Ads 1-year Subscription$1.99