By Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. This is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions whether or not you’re connected.
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Integrated Thesaurus: synonyms & antonyms are included with the dictionary
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
Fully featured and absolutely free, this app is supported by ads. Upgrade to the premium version to remove ads.
What's New in Version 3.5
Numerous flaw repairs and layout fine-tuning.
The best of the best.
This is an essential app for anyone. Like the book version, the best resource of all resources is the Merriam Webster dictionary. Where the written pages end, the digital version continues and offers insight and knowledge to the reader like never before. Pronunciation, spelling, definition and etymology are available at a moments notice. Just use the microphone key and speak that word that is unsure you. Not correct in your pronunciation, the app will find that right word for you. Need to know synonyms and/or antonyms, Merriam Webster provides an easy link. Why would anyone not have this app? The Merriam Webster dictionary is indispensable.
This app doesn't always have the answers I'm looking for, and it is not unabridged (which it doesn't claim to be,) but luckily we live in the digital age and most of us have access to an Internet browser. I mostly use this app to look up words while I'm reading.
Overall, I would recommend this app to anyone who likes to quickly look up words, or just hates looking through a big old dictionary.
So much variety in one app
This app is so much more than a Dictionary. The etymology for each word definition clearly rivals oxford's copious references to the evolution of words; the word of the day is a fun way to challenge your mind on a daily basis; and there are several game varieties to play to keep your brain juices flowing
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jul 20, 2016
- Version: 3.5
- Size: 84.8 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- © 2015 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.