By Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. This is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions whether or not you’re connected.
* Universal App
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Integrated Thesaurus: synonyms & antonyms are included with the dictionary
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
Fully featured and absolutely free, this app is supported by ads. You can remove ads for $1.99 per year with an in-app purchase. Prices vary by location. Your subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription period. You can manage your subscription in your account settings.
What's New in Version 4.0.2
Needs a lot of work... Pretty terrible.
The predictive search as you enter a word only works assuming you are spelling the word correctly. Other dictionary apps (including simple online ones) will guess what you're trying to spell and list suggestions. So essentially useless if you heard a difficult to spell word, and are trying to look it up... Often you have to type your best guess of the spelling into Google, who will list the correct spelling, at which point you can enter that into the Merriam-Webster app. Or more realistically, you just read the Google definition. Which ironically is generally better. Which brings me to the thesaurus... It's terrible. Obvious synonyms and antonyms will not be listed. The Google definition will usually have many more synonyms and antonyms. Overall, this app gets it's clock cleaned by a simple Google search, making it essentially pointless unless you are temporarily without an internet connection, and want to look something up...
Not for amateurs
If you love words, this is your app! I jump on for word of the day and find myself stuck in the app for much longer than I intended as I click on more words, listen to pronunciation and even play vocabulary games. In response to a negative review below- We all count on spell check from time to time, but maybe if more people used the dictionary they would be better spellers. Rookies use Google, wordsmiths use M-W! Keep the bar high guys. :)
Easy to use, love the audible pronunciation feature. Dictionary at my finger tips. My kids love to use it for definitions and pronunciation. It also includes synonyms which expands my vocabulary. I also enjoy the word of the day and the word games. It will occasionally not have the word I'm looking up (I read a lot of older literature) but I have only the free app version. Definitely an essential. Merriam Webster is the best one available.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jan 03, 2017
- Version: 4.0.2
- Size: 139 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Seller: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- © 2015 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Remove Ads 1-year Subscription$1.99