By Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. This is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions whether or not you’re connected.
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Integrated Thesaurus: synonyms & antonyms are included with the dictionary
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
Fully featured and absolutely free, this app is supported by ads. Upgrade to the premium version to remove ads.
What's New in Version 3.6.1
Minor bug fix.
Very useful app. A must have for students. I love the fact that you can tap the "megaphone", and hear how the word is pronounced. There are also some games you can play to increase your vocabulary. The word of the day is also useful. When I open my app and see the word of the day, I try to use that word throughout the day. I like seeing the expression on people's faces when they hear me speak words they don't know. Overall, it is a great app. I would recommend downloading and try it. You won't be disappointed .
Wonderful dictionary! But SO MANY ADS
Great dictionary with vocabulary improving games and option to create a list of favorite words which is hands. But the amount of ads in the app is getting crazy. They will often block the definition or pop up between every word you search (and you must wait 5 seconds to close the add--which gets really tedious/annoying if you are looking up many words at once).
Aggressive and annoying ads
The pop up ads that are incorporated into this app are necessarily - I get it. But they are aggressive and annoying. Often when I search for a word and then tap it to see the definition, a pop up ad will take over my entire screen and not allow me to exit for several seconds. It's disruptive, unpleasant (the last ad was for a video game I have never heard it), and there was no "x" in sight that would allow me to close the ad. I finally deleted the app in frustration and will find a replacement app.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Nov 11, 2016
- Version: 3.6.1
- Size: 262 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Seller: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- © 2015 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.