By Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. This is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions whether or not you’re connected.
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Integrated Thesaurus: synonyms & antonyms are included with the dictionary
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
Fully featured and absolutely free, this app is supported by ads. Upgrade to the premium version to remove ads.
What's New in Version 3.6
Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
VERY valuable dictionary/thesaurus combo!
I have a B.A. in English...but I earned it a long time ago. 😃 I'm a writer/journalist/blogger, and I use this app a LOT. I use each part equally, because, using an important example for me, is choosing a synonym even slightly off of the definition I'm intending, because it can be read in a completely different way. It's really handy to have them there together so I can follow my own trails. The setup makes it easy to go all the way back where I started. I am finally finished. If you are still reading this, you're probably pretty sure I'm a writer. So wordy. 😄😂
Expanding my vocabulary again!
I relish in this app! I know I had vocab words to study when I was a kid but I had a cavalier attitude toward school. Now that I am grown and spending my time around educated people I would like to be more mindful of my word choices and help my children expand their vocabularies by modeling it myself. This app is wonderful for all of that and more. I hear a word that I think I know but would love to double check and I am able to search it on here and access links to each synonym as well as antonym that is listed.
The words of the day are awesome!!!
I have already refreshed myself with a myriad of new words including the very word I can use to describe my haughty ex and how he spoke to me: very patronizing!! My friend and I concluded that we were each a consigliere to one another.
Plus, who knew Fantabulous was a word? (slang but apparently a word!)
Probably too much but you get the picture!! 😇
Seems Good So Far
I much prefer this format to the pay-for-seperate-definition-packs format I believe the publisher initially attempted. I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable price to get rid of ads, but it seems as though they have refrained from that approach due to backlash from the problem I mentioned previously. A main feature I would appreciate the publisher incorporating is an optional 'favorite' system so I can easily access and reference words I often find myself requiring the definition of (usually just to sound superfluous.)
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 06, 2016
- Version: 3.6
- Size: 262 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Seller: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- © 2015 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.