By Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. This is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions whether or not you’re connected.
* Universal App
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Integrated Thesaurus: synonyms & antonyms are included with the dictionary
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
Fully featured and absolutely free, this app is supported by ads. You can remove ads for $1.99 per year with an in-app purchase. Prices vary by location. Your subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription period. You can manage your subscription in your account settings.
What's New in Version 4.1
Sound bug fixed.
New voice recognition.
It's a dictionary...it gets the job done.
Sometimes I use it multiple times a day, and sometimes not at all, but it works and is easy to use unless you don't have the slightest idea or know how to spell the word of course.🙄😳🤔🤷🏻♀️ They should have an autocorrect to find the right word, but other than that it gets the job done obviously. You can always type the word into google or a text to get the spelling right and then type it into the M.W. Dictionary for a proper meaning, origination, and examples, which is important and sets M.W. aside from other plain Jane dictionary apps.💜🤓👍 Not that I tried them all, I could be wrong, but you can't get better than free, I think that it's important to take the few seconds it takes to teach yourself a new word or the meaning of one you don't know, because why not?....Everyone should have this app, it should be one that automatically is downloaded onto your phone/iPhone. And that's that, I have already written too much on this matter. 🤦🏻♀️Enjoy, you should never stop educating yourself, don't be a arrogant know-it-all, if you aren't absolutely sure, you are only hurting yourself, so don't be an A-Hole, 🙈🙉🙊Just look it up,.....and use M.W. to do so. 😉👩🏻💻👩🏻🎓✌️
A genuine Merriam-Webster
The name Webster alone is no guarantee of excellence. It is used by a number of publishers and may serve mainly to mislead an unwary buyer.
A Merriam-Webster is the registered trademark you should look for when you consider the purchase of dictionaries or other fine reference books. It carries the reputation of a company that has been publishing since 1831 and is your assurance of quality and authority. I have looked up the word "smegma" in every dictionary I come across and the only one that has the definition is the Merriam-Websters dictionary. the Oxford, Random house, nor the plethora of fake "Websters" dictionaries have the definition. I like the word games that come with this app. They are challenging and fun to play while learning new words and building your vocabulary.
ESL/EFL Successful Engagement
I'm an English teacher (12 yrs exp.) to students in a foreign country who grew up speaking a VERY different language and are expected to translate long lists of words usually 100 words every day as evidence of mastery of the English language. They hate it. I teach a class of 11th grade students who tested at a mid-low level and have been grouped together; they've been studying English since preschool and still don't quite get it. I required each of them to download this app, and told them that if they could advance a level in a vocabulary game, I'd give them some extra credit. Everyone was energetically engaged in vocabulary acquisition. It was a beautiful scene, and, quite possibly, my happiest day of teaching ever.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 21, 2017
- Version: 4.1
- Size: 156 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Seller: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- © 2015 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Remove Ads 1-year Subscription$1.99