By Merriam-Webster, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. This is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions whether or not you’re connected.
* Universal App
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Integrated Thesaurus: synonyms & antonyms are included with the dictionary
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
Fully featured and absolutely free, this app is supported by ads. You can remove ads for $1.99 per year with an in-app purchase. Prices vary by location. Your subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription period. You can manage your subscription in your account settings.
What's New in Version 4.2.1
Fixed crash bug.
I keep the app open all the time
The title says quite a bit. I have an okay vocabulary (scored in the 95 percentile on the GRE for the language section), but abysmal pronunciation. The M-W word pronunciation is a must for me. Plus, I diligently look up any words I'm not certain about when reading. This app makes vocabulary learning easy. I use the free version, so not every word I look up is available, but most words searched for are listed in the M-W free app. I thoroughly enjoy their word of the day, and vocabulary games. I'm a fan of their website and videos too.
Very descriptive! Very fast, as I'm entering the beginning of the word I'm searching for words begins to appear with the beguine of my searched word before I even finish entering the rest of the letters of the word I'm searching for, I'm then able to click my searched word fast and receive the definition of it quickly, as I'm studying, doing my homework and reading. Especially when I am stuck in my reading and not understanding what a word in the text is about. Very helpful app, and very efficient ! Love it!! Thank you WD!
Fast and simple, destined to impress!
I spend much time reading the works of authors who have come and gone long before this millennial started reading. As a result, I regularly find myself in need of a fast, simple dictionary that I can use wherever I happen to be studying. This dictionary does exactly that. It has just enough features to be useful, while avoiding the clutter of some of its competitors. I would highly recommend this app for anyone looks for a reliable, fast dictionary on the go.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Aug 08, 2017
- Version: 4.2.1
- Size: 186 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Seller: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- © 2015 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Remove Ads 1-year Subscription$1.99