By Merriam-Webster, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. This is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions and synonyms whether or not you’re connected. You will need a connection to view illustrations, hear audio pronunciations, and use voice search.
Selected as a "Best New App" by iTunes.
* Universal app
* No ads
* Full Thesaurus: more than 200,000 word choices, examples, and explanations
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
* Premium Content: over 1000 graphical illustrations, and over 20,000 additional entries covering people, places, and foreign terms
What's New in Version 4.3
New design and UX.
I am a long-time user of another on-line dictionary, but when I discovered the superior definitions and word histories within M-W, I switched right away!
I agree with NASA Aerospace Engineer's four main points, and I would like to expand upon point number one. I would love to see an unabridged version of M-W, with a complete explication of word origins, usages, root words, affixes (i.e., prefixes and suffixes) with their meanings, and conjugations. I would also like to see the proper pronunciation of the Greek, Hebrew, Latin, French, Old French, Old English (e.g., Beowulf, & King Alfred's Grammar by Michael D. C. Drout), Middle English (e.g., The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer) etc., words that they originated from. And, if you use an obscure word(s) in your definition — IT SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN YOUR DICTIONARY!!!
I realize that this a lot to ask for, but these are upgrades I would be willing to pay for. Thank you for listening to my rant.
Version 4.3–ANOTHER update and NO slide over or split view support. In light of the iOS 11 update for iPads, this is ridiculous. And clearly shows that no one doing app development for MW knows a thing about iOS. New font. Lovely. That helps none.
Developers: Your dictionary is a superior product content-wise to everything else in the App Store. Will you PLEASE update your app to support Split View (and by extension Slide Over)? The fact that there has been an entire iOS cycle and this has not been addressed is shameful. And honestly it is making you less useful to those of us who write for a living on iOS. If I have to close out of my writing every time I want to use the dictionary (which is often, I can’t overstate how much I love the M-W dictionary), it costs me time. Please, please help me delete all other dictionaries from my devices. Or at least respond to this and tell me it is never going to happen so I can learn to love someone else. Thank you.
Love it...yet still room for improvement
The new UX and fonts are lovely. I also love the access to word of the day archive, even though I feel it should go even way back than than the current six-month window. That said, I’m in solidarity with those bemoaning the lack of support for split view. Please work on this. Also, think about integrating additional value-add services such as an idioms tab, word usage tips, etc; these would make this app a one-stop reference.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 14, 2017
- Version: 4.3
- Size: 185 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- © 2017 Merriam-Webster Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.