Merriam-Webster Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. This is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions and synonyms whether or not you’re connected. You will need a connection to view illustrations, hear audio pronunciations, and use voice search.
Selected as a "Best New App" by iTunes.
* Universal app
* No ads
* Full Thesaurus: more than 200,000 word choices, examples, and explanations
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
* Premium Content: over 1000 graphical illustrations, and over 20,000 additional entries covering people, places, and foreign terms
What's New in Version 4.2
Quality of life improvements and bug fixes.
M-W Defends The English Language
I switched from the Oxford dictionary app I previously had for what might appear to be political reasons yet is actually a non-partisan one: defense of word definitions. When President Trump began tweeting out non-sensical statements that twisted or hollowed out the very meaning of certain words he was trying to use in an Orwellian manner, M-W would tweet out a response that focused on the actual definition of the word in defense of meaningful language. It may have appeared partisan to some, but to me it was a simple & timely reminder that words are not empty vessels. They are not window dressing. They are the window itself and attempts to use them to communicate in a way that is deliberately counter to their actual meaning effectively gaslights an entire language & the very culture that relies on it. I am happy with the app, & even happier supporting a company that recognizes that defending the meaning of words is to defend its core reason for being. Thank you M-W.
Best Dictionary App of All
I have downloaded many of the Dictionary Apps offered. I was thrilled to finally find this Meriam Dictionary App. It has exceeded all of my expectations that I was seeking. There is a straightforward definition followed by a more detail definition. The audio is perfect. Examples are clean and straightforward. It also offers fast self quizzes to keep your vocabulary sharp.
Many other features are offered such as Favorites that you can go back to and review. It is not cluttered with extraneous information. This is the best of all Dictionary Apps!
My Go To Dictionary!
The Merriam-Webster Dictionary app is most definitely my "go to" dictionary.
The reason for four stars is because the app's search feature doesn't "guess" the word I'm after like other types of apps do. In other words, it's almost as if I have to already know how to completely spell a word in order to find it. This shouldn't be the case. The app should be able to guess which word I'm looking for, or else the "search" feature isn't really worth much.
I'll put it this way; with a paper dictionary, I only have to know the first letter or two of a word, essentially, in order to find it. That should be the case with a digital dictionary as well, in my opinion. Also, I wish the "Word of the Day" feature had audio pronunciation included, which it does not.
Otherwise, I enjoy the other features, including the word games!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jul 11, 2017
- Version: 4.2
- Size: 177 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Seller: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- © 2017 Merriam-Webster Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.