Merriam-Webster Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. This is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions and synonyms whether or not you’re connected. You will need a connection to view illustrations, hear audio pronunciations, and use voice search.
Selected as a "Best New App" by iTunes.
* No ads
* Full Thesaurus: more than 200,000 word choices, examples, and explanations
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day, with optional push notifications
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
* Premium Content: over 1000 graphical illustrations, and over 20,000 additional entries covering people, places, and foreign terms
What's New in Version 3.4.1
Gameplay and UX improvements
The quiz is useless!
Well, it seems the recent updates is making this app a game app.
Every time I open the app, the curser won't be at the search box, and I have to tap on the very top of the screen to start typing in the tiny little search box. Guess what is taking up the huge chunk of interface? The vocabulary quiz I've never played. This app does have a widget and I expected it to have a fast access to its dictionary feature. But again, it just offers the useless quiz feature at your hands! Quite irritating that a utility app behaves like a game app. Not to mention the extra space it takes up.
Need unabridged version
I'm trying to read an article in the journal anglisticum, and I'm trying to lookup Anglistic. It's a cardiology article that is published in a language journal and I am a bit confused.
Best of Breed
Looks great and has the most exhaustive list of words. Also works offline!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jan 14, 2016
- Version: 3.4.1
- Size: 71.7 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- © 2015 Merriam-Webster Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.