Merriam-Webster Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. This is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions and synonyms whether or not you’re connected. You will need a connection to view illustrations, hear audio pronunciations, and use voice search.
Selected as a "Best New App" by iTunes.
* No ads
* Full Thesaurus: more than 200,000 word choices, examples, and explanations
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
* Premium Content: over 1000 graphical illustrations, and over 20,000 additional entries covering people, places, and foreign terms
What's New in Version 3.6
Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
Great to have! I use it constantly!
This a great dictionary & thesaurus app. I use it all the time. I like that I am able to save the words that I've looked up so I can go back later and review. It's a very quick loading app. Many apps I find are slow to open, but this one is almost immediate. I am able to search a word with very little lag time out of what I'm doing.
One thing I don't care for so much is it doesn't have an option to help you find a word that you don't know how to spell. So I usually go on my web browser to find the correct spelling.
Other then that this is a handy app!
I had used the hardback paper version of Webster's new collegiate dictionary since high school. They have done a fantastic job of tranferring all of the great qualities of that paper version to this app, and have made it even faster and easier to find useful definitions, synonyms, antonyms, and origins of words. With the constant updates, I love that I am able to find newly coined words in our ever-evolving English language. A great app if you are looking for something more scholarly than most basic definition dictionaries that are out there. Well worth the price.
App is not as polished as the dictionary
The dictionary itself is 5 stars, but the app has a glaring issue: favorites and history do not transfer from free to premium app. I shouldn't have to worry about such things when I make an upgrade, an upgrade should be seamless and better in everyway. One, it was not seamless. Premium app downloaded separately leaving me with two apps. Two, it is not better in every way. I don't want to delete the free app now because my favorited words are there. I now have two deficient versions of the app on my phone instead of the one premium app that I paid for. Buyers beware
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 06, 2016
- Version: 3.6
- Size: 263 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Seller: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- © 2015 Merriam-Webster Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.