Merriam-Webster Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. This is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions and synonyms whether or not you’re connected. You will need a connection to view illustrations, hear audio pronunciations, and use voice search.
Selected as a "Best New App" by iTunes.
* Universal app
* No ads
* Full Thesaurus: more than 200,000 word choices, examples, and explanations
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
* Premium Content: over 1000 graphical illustrations, and over 20,000 additional entries covering people, places, and foreign terms
What's New in Version 4.0.2
Have had this app quite a while. Still like the old interface, but when your old change is difficult. Sometimes change is good and this has been for me having to push my brain to think out of the box. I use it as often as I'm able to. Still looking forward to new words in my search to keep my brain active.
7 Plus (iOS 10.x)
I'd still like to see suggestions listed when one misspells the word for which s/he is looking. Having to use fine scrolling or backspacing to the error has always felt tedious, even onerous. The competition makes such suggestions, but I like this app better for some reason. Thanks for the continued support! And please, please add landscape. I am sick of being torn from landscape to portrait mode when multitasking. Minus two stars.
A serious help
English being my second language acquired after 50 years old, this app and before it the dictionary itself are and have been so helpful. I particularly appreciate the pronunciation since it is so hard sometimes to know how to pronounce or to spell some tricky words. A very good work!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jan 12, 2017
- Version: 4.0.2
- Size: 132 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Seller: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- © 2015 Merriam-Webster Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.