By Facebook, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Instantly connect with the people in your life. Messenger is free, fast, and secure.
- Reach anyone. You can use names or phone numbers to find friends.
- Use everywhere. Messenger works across all mobile and desktop devices. You can even connect with people internationally!
- Connect however you want. Send a text message, share a photo, or start a video chat — all in Messenger.
- Communicate better with groups. Catch up in real time with high quality group video chat or customize your messaging experience with colors, nicknames, and group photos.
- Call and video chat your friends 1:1 or in groups. It's free over Wi-Fi (otherwise standard data charges apply), so talk as long as you want, even with people in other countries.
- Express yourself. Send emojis, stickers, and GIFs to conversations or add new masks and effects to your video chats.
- Capture photos and videos with fun art and effects. You can save these to camera roll, send to conversations, or post to your Day, a place where people can see what you're up to.
- Play games and compete with your friends. You can compare scores and see how you rank against other people.
- Chat with businesses. You can make reservations, check on orders, and get real-time customer service.
What's New in Version 144.0
We update the app regularly so we can make it better for you. Get the latest version for all of the available Messenger features. Thanks for using Messenger!
I really despise this app
I have been trying to set up a digital environment that limits addictive phone use. I only put this app on my phone to check my messages when I absolutely cannot get to a desktop. I delete it immediately after. The whole notification to let you know that you don’t have notifications enabled is the nail in the coffin for me.
I get that nothing is free. This app doesn’t provide any additional value that isn’t already supplied by the message app that came with my phone. It’s convenient to type my messages on a full size keyboard but google voice, hangouts, plus etc all allow for this while integrating with a dozen other useful apps. The only reason I use it is because Facebook forces me to on my mobile device (I’ve figured out how to send messages to one person without it but not receive).
Stop ambushing me with notifications and give the illusion of choice and you might not have to force your app on us.
Constant glitches, does not work on some tablets.
Originally I was forced to get this because Facebook wouldn’t let me use the messaging service from their mobile webpage. You would at least hope for a sturdy app with support for a diverse set of platforms if you’re forced to get it on many other platforms considered mobile (in my case Kindle and Samsung Galaxy View). This is not the case. Videos and some photos (Days) do not function on the two aforementioned tablet versions of the app, and instead crash it. Even on the iPhone version which I use more frequently, there are many reoccurring bugs and unnecessary features (such as the app recommending to me how I should reply to a message, leaving the selection of poor choices within misclick range; above the keyboard.) If it were a choice, I would simply not bother with this application and stick to the webpage messages.
Good app but..
It’s a really good app. I use it everyday. However, it’s very annoying.
Literally a few minutes ago, the call I’m in goes super laggy. Then the app continuously says, waiting to reconnect, something like that. But it never reconnects. So I decide to close out the app and start it up, and then nothing happens. It opens, with an infinite loading screen. Shows not contacts, no actives, nothing. Just the first page with the loading thing in the middle. Then the person I was talking to calls, I pick up, but it just says connecting and does those beeps. Then I get all of her texts, but none of mine go through. I can’t call her either because then it says contacting or connecting and goes to voicemail. This app has so many glitches, and it needs to be fixed. I’m really annoyed with these problems.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Nov 20, 2017
- Version: 144.0
- Size: 242 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Seller: Facebook, Inc.
- © Facebook, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.