By Facebook, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Instantly connect with the people in your life. Messenger is free, fast, and secure.
- Reach anyone. You can use names or phone numbers to find friends.
- Use everywhere. Messenger works across all mobile and desktop devices. You can even connect with people internationally!
- Connect however you want. Send a text message, share a photo, or start a video chat — all in Messenger.
- Communicate better with groups. Catch up in real time with high quality group video chat or customize your messaging experience with colors, nicknames, and group photos.
- Call and video chat your friends 1:1 or in groups. It's free over Wi-Fi (otherwise standard data charges apply), so talk as long as you want, even with people in other countries.
- Express yourself. Send emojis, stickers, and GIFs to conversations or add new masks and effects to your video chats.
- Capture photos and videos with fun art and effects. You can save these to camera roll, send to conversations, or post to your Day, a place where people can see what you're up to.
- Play games and compete with your friends. You can compare scores and see how you rank against other people.
- Chat with businesses. You can make reservations, check on orders, and get real-time customer service.
What's New in Version 135.1
We update the app regularly so we can make it better for you. Get the latest version for all of the available Messenger features. Thanks for using Messenger!
I don’t want to turn on Notifications
I need to have Messenger to view Facebook messages on my phone, which is fine. But what’s unacceptable is how many times the app harassed me to turn on notifications.
Every single time I open the app it gives me a full screen message demanding I turn them on. There’s only “Remind me Later”, no option to dismiss permanently. It makes the app unbelievably annoying to use.
No other messaging app I’ve used displays this level of harassment. Quite frankly, I’m shocked that this doesn’t violate Apple’s Terms of Service regarding app behavior. There’s a reason iOS only allows the in app prompt once and this feels like clear circumvention of that limit.
Oh and why don’t I want notifications on? Because messenger started sending notifications not only when I received a new message, but randomly throughout the day. I don’t want to be pinged whenever the Messenger developers decide they have something for me to read. This abuse of the notifications system to send me notifications when I have no new messages is unacceptable behavior for a messaging app.
Not only am I forced to use this app to view messages on my mobile devices, but it is constantly updating and each update is worse than the last. This current update, I am no longer able to use messenger. I have deleted the app, restarted my phone, closed all apps out, nothing has worked and Facebook doesn't seem to be listening to the error reports. Unfortunately I have no service inside my apartment so, to send messages I've been having to use this app on wifi. I will be downloading a texting app instead of this piece of crap.
Apparently Facebook doesn't care if you can't afford to buy every newest iPhone, because I still have an iPhone 5. I thought it would be fine since I can still download the latest version of iOS, but when I downloaded the most recent version of Messenger, it keeps crashing. It won't even get to my list of conversations: it crashes trying to load them. I have to login on Safari to even view my messages now, because the Facebook app itself is exclusively for Facebook.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Sep 23, 2017
- Version: 135.1
- Size: 249 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Arabic, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Facebook, Inc.
- © Facebook, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.