Met Opera on Demand
By The Metropolitan Opera
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Met Opera on Demand delivers instant and unlimited streaming of more than 500 full-length Metropolitan Opera performances on your iPad—and now on your HDTV or connected sound system as well via Apple TV with AirPlay.
The Met Opera on Demand iPad app is free to download. Explore the app and the catalog, and enjoy a sampling of free preview content. Met Opera on Demand subscribers can sign in anytime for complete and unlimited access to everything available.
Highlights of this unparalleled collection of opera performances include:
• More than 70 presentations from the Met’s award-winning "Live in HD" series of global movie-theater transmissions, featuring opera superstars Roberto Alagna, Natalie Dessay, Joyce DiDonato, Plácido Domingo, Renée Fleming, Juan Diego Flórez, Elīna Garanča, Jonas Kaufmann, Anna Netrebko, Deborah Voigt, and many more
• Classic Met telecasts dating from 1977, including "Aida" starring Leontyne Price, "La Bohème" starring Luciano Pavarotti and Renata Scotto, Jon Vickers as Otello, and more
• More than 350 radio broadcast performances dating back to 1935, representing nearly all of the most popular operas ever composed and many of the greatest singers in Met history including Björling, Callas, Corelli, Horne, Nilsson, Sutherland, Tebaldi, Te Kanawa, and Tucker
All Met Opera on Demand videos include English subtitles, and many recent HD performances also include subtitles in French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish. With this newest update to the app, subscribers can use AirPlay to watch all videos with the full offering of multi-language subtitles on their TV via Apple TV. New operas are added every month. The app also now offers a “Continue Watching and Listening” feature that allows you to stop at any time and resume right where you left off whenever you’re ready. You can bookmark your favorite performances for easy access at any time as well.
(The Met Opera on Demand iPad App requires a Wi-Fi internet connection to stream videos and content availability is subject to change.)
What's New in Version 2.0.0
The new 2.0 iPad app release for Met Opera on Demand offers many exciting enhancements and new features, including:
• AirPlay enabled, with optional multi-language subtitles available on your TV
• “Continue Watching and Listening” feature to resume right where you left off
• Overall app redesign, with new Home screen
• Enhanced “Free Preview” functionality throughout the app for non-subscribers
• Adjustable subtitle styling (font, size, color) through your iPad and/or Apple TV settings
• Background playback to continue listening to any performance while using other apps
• Updated Facebook, Twitter, and email sharing options
• Bug fix for muted audio related to side switch setting
Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!
I just watched my first opera from this app in HD on my HDTV with hifi sound. Rigoletto actually. There are still a few hiccups (e.g. video freezing) which may be user errors. Overall the experience was amazing! For me this is the killer app for the Apple TV and really shows the power of Ipad Airplay. I really appreciate the quality of the multi-camera HD recordings. The editing keeps the video interesting and the close-ups deliver an unmatched emotional impact. Met and Apple, keep up the great work!
Finally, it works with AirPlay and Apple TV
It has been a long wait, but this new version works with AirPlay properly. Subtitles are now displayed at the bottom of the video on the TV, rather than being left behind on the iPad when streaming to Apple TV. And background playback is great. You can use other apps on your iPad while you watch the opera on your TV.
Read the reviews!
LOVE LOVE LOVE the updates. A couple of minor skips, but it really is wonderful. Especially the stop and return feature! Thank you for fixing this app. Being virtually bed ridden this allows me to be in the theatre with the best seat in the house! Sorry about only four stars....I have faith in you to continue the good work and fix those petty little glitches.
- Category: Music
- Updated: Jul 14, 2014
- Version: 2.0.0
- Size: 4.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Metropolitan Opera Association, Inc.
- © 2014 The Metropolitan Opera
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPad.