Meta is a powerful tag editor, that helps you with every aspect of managing a digital music collection, and saves you time when you rip vinyls or download music from 3rd party stores.
• Supported Formats:
- MP3 (mp3, mp2, mpga)
- MP4 (mp4, m4a, m4v, m4r, m4b, m4p, mpg4, aac, adts)
- OGG (ogg, oga, spx, opus)
- WAV (wav, wave, bwf)
- AIFF (cdda, aifc, aif, aiff)
- DSD (dsf, dsdiff)
Supported metadata formats include: ID3 (v1, 2.3, 2.4), APE, MP4 (atom), Vorbis (Xiph), and INFO Tags.
- Apply changes to a selection of files at once
- Cut/Copy/Paste metadata in batches
- Perform String transformations
- Generate track number sequences
- Find and Replace text, or regular expressions
Pattern Based Conversions:
- Rename files (Compose file names using tags)
- Extract tags from file names, or file paths
- Compose tags based on other metadata
- Create custom directory structures based on each file's tags
Album Cover Management:
- Import or export album covers using drag and drop
- Adjust artworks either on demand, or automatically upon adding (scale, crop, and compress to keep your files size low)
- Find album artworks online with a single click using the integrated “Cover Finder” (additional in-app purchase)
- Rename, Move, Delete, Open, “Open with”, and “Reveal” files from within the app
- Import or export M3U playlists
- Import or export tags as CSV (Numbers, Excel spreadsheets)
- Add tracks to iTunes, or refresh their metadata once you're done editing in Meta
- Get autocomplete suggestions as you type from your iTunes media database
Customisable User Interface:
- Define lists of tags you want to view/edit thanks to custom view configurations
- Quickly switch between configurations depending on your needs (ex: common, advanced, sorting, podcast-related, …)
- Popovers help you edit long text (lyrics, comments), find a track's BPM (tap tempo), or input dates without worrying about the proper format
Fast, Clean, Reliable native macOS app:
- Undo support
- Quick Look support allows for previewing audio and artworks in-app
- Instantaneous Editing
- Powered by the well-tested, open-source tagging engine Taglib
If you want to contribute to making Meta even better, get in touch via the App Store “Support” link, or tweet us @meta4mac
Fixed a bug where sandbox access wouldn't be automatically requested.
Ratings and Reviews
Best Tagger For Mac
I had trouble finding a good tagger since switching from Windows (Tagscanner is amazing for Windows). This is hands down the best one for Mac and I’ve tried a lot of them. Very simple UI but powerful. My only complain is that they’ve changed the tagging shortcuts from Option+Control+Left/Right to Command+Shift+T which is very inconvenient when you’re tagging a lot of files. Please bring that shortcut back, there was no reason to remove it.
Tried them all...
This was the best. By far. Clean UI, does in-depth things like creating tags from filenames, and is very easy to use.
I started off by searching for a great ID3 tag editor for Mac. As many know, I’m assuming because every review seems to say, PC’s have the best ID3 tag editors. Not many are present for the mac for some very strange reason. With that said, I wanted a simple, yet effective ID3 tag editor to batch edit files that have wrong copyright/encoding information. Somehow music files tend to become corrupted easily so all the Metadata is wrong. This application does just that. You can batch remove comments, batch remove encoding information, batch remove artwork, etc. I will admit that there is a minor learning curve for a few features. One such feature is removing all files after importing them. In order to do this you left click the “-“ symbol and “Remove all” pops up. The average, simple user would have a hard time figuring that out or knowing that. 5 stars simply because it does exactly as advertised.
Yes, there are other apps that can do what Meta does. But they’re 15, 20, 30 dollars. This is 10. …and it’s a native app on your computer. You also know you’re not downloading extra spyware/malware because it’s from the App Store.
So get this!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.