Metronomics is not only a metronome, but a tool designed to help build a solid sense of time and rhythmic security. It's a new kind of metronome -- use Metronomics to generate random patterns, sequenced grooves, or a combination of both to help you practice with more than just your typical click track. Enough features to keep a professional busy for years or start a beginner on the right track.
The only metronome that gives you complete control over how subdivisions are played -- add subdivisions of any type (including custom subdivisions like 5/7) and have them played all the time, at random intervals, or in a sequenced pattern.
- Choose from 40 different samples for each subdivision, mastered for iOS devices
- Generate patterns using random or sequenced variations of different subdivisions
- Include built-in preset patterns such as claves or ride cymbal patterns
- Choose any number of beats per measure (with any denominator) you like or practice mixed meters such as 4/4 + 3/8 + 5/4 where the segments of the bar get accented automatically
- Use any type of subdivision. Common types like quarter notes, sixteenth notes, eighth triplets, etc, or create your own. 5/7, 23/4, no problem!
- Take a rhythm and use the "offset" feature to move it to different parts of the measure to practice with.
- Set the metronome to speed up or slow down by a given amount after a set number of measures
- Have Metronomics start with a count off
- Set the metronome to run for a certain amount of time
- Share saved metronomes back and forth with other Metronomics users
- Track your metronome usage. App shows how much you've practiced with it each day and total (optionally turn off time tracking)
- Train yourself with "independence" mode where you can set some bars to be inaudible -- keep the time going yourself until the click starts again
- Variable swing feel -- choose how much each subdivision swings
- Speech sounds for counting up to 10 that can be assigned to any subdivision (English language only)
- Play in the background
- AUv3 support -- use Metronomics as an audio unit within other host apps. Ableton Link for sync.
- Great battery management -- doesn't drain the battery like many other iOS metronomes
- Normalized sounds for good volume
- Manual (plus videos) describing how to use all the features and hints about how they might be useful
Within Metronomics, there is an option to upgrade to Metronomics Pro, which is an auto-renewing yearly subscription service. It enables the following features:
- Service: Metronomics Pro
- Time period: one year, auto-renewing subscription
- Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
- Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user’s Account Settings after purchase
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
8.0.1: bug fixes
A major upgrade to Metronomics! All of the great features from before, completely rewritten from the ground up (Swift!) to ensure Metronomics moves comfortably into the future.
New features include:
- Time signature denominators -- easily create bars of 5/4, 7/8, 3/16, etc
- Folders for Metronomes -- organize your metronomes within Metronomics within Folders
- Easy file access -- metronomes and presets are now stored as files that can be accessed from the iOS Files app (or document sharing in iTunes)
- Volume knobs on the main screen -- the probability sliders now have easily-accesible volume knobs below them. Slider/knob roles can be switched.
- Speech samples -- assign any subdivision to use sampled sounds of a voice saying the numbers 1-10. Great for beginners who need to audibly hear the beat counted out.
- Rotation supported on the iPhone -- both portrait and landscape mode work
- AUv3 -- use Metronomics as an Audio Unit within other host apps. Ableton Link for sync.
- A new manual, plus videos to help understand Meronomics and its features
- In-App upgrade to Metronomics Pro available.
Included in Metronomics Pro (available as an In-App Purchase):
- Dark theme
- Arbitrary time signature denominators: besides the included 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64, use other time signature denominators. Anything from 1-100!
- Inpector mode: view your soundwaves graphed alongside the metronome to see how in-time you are
- MIDI subdivisions: assign a subdivision to play MIDI notes instead of sampled sounds. MIDI can be played from an on-board synth or sent to an external synth app.
- Custom sounds: import your own samples to be used in Metronomics (see the manual for a description of how to use this feature)
- Export audio: export an audio file of your metronome that can be sent to anyone to play along with, or used as a loop within a DAW or other audio app
- Export MIDI: metronome patterns can be exported into a MIDI file that can imported into other apps
Ratings and Reviews
More than a Metronome
This is a versatile and powerful app. There are features that expand on simple metronome usage such as meter, audible/inaudible bars, tempo alteration (ramping). Add to that randomized cross rhythms, rhythm layering, odd meters, and a variety of samples, and you'll have enough tools to practice rhythm from any perspective. Highly recommended.
Makes practicing more fun.
I love this app. It makes practicing more fun.
It has a beautiful and easy to learn user interface.
I have tried many metronomes and this is the best one, period. It has made me a better player.
Been meaning to review this forever. Finally did so when I got an Apple Watch and, lo and behold, a Metronomics app for the watch shows up! The developer really cares about his apps, and he’s a musician! Best metronome in the App Store.
- John Nastos
- 37 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © John Nastos 2018
- In-App Purchases
- Yearly Pro Subscription $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.