Have fun learning the most widely spoken language in the world! Designed for self-paced Chinese learners, this app focuses on the most exciting part of the language: speaking it. By exploring a wide variety of everyday scenarios, you become exposed to essential vocabulary and grammar structures, helping you to speak Mandarin the way natives do. Best of all, it's entirely free!
Learn, practice, and implement your learning
- Advance grading system to perfect your pronunciation and practice conversation with our chatbots
- Professional Course Material: Designed by experienced teachers, and aligned with the HSK difficulty classification.
- MASTERY feature – we identify the items you are having the most trouble learning and work with them until they achieve mastery
- Personalize Learning Program – it tailored to your unique needs and match you to conversations at your level
- Implement Your Learning – role play interface and abundant scenarios for practice
- Gamification features make the study and practice more fun
GET IN TOUCH:
Any ideas, feedback or comments? Please don’t hesitate to connect with us! Email us at
It’s finally here.
Check out our new features and a new look!
- New MASTERY feature – we identify the items you are having the most trouble learning and work with them until they achieve mastery
- Personalize Learning Program – new feature which tailored to your unique needs and match you to conversations at your level
- Implement Your Learning – new role play interface and abundant scenarios for practice
- New gamification features make the study and practice more fun
- New content added – 50 HSK level 1 conversations for beginners
- Many speed and UI improvements
Ratings and Reviews
A complete miss for language learners.
What to expect from this app:
Pronunciation: Mandarin is a tonal language, and this app will not point that out in any way. This is an important thing to learn from the very beginning because changing the tone will change the meaning of the word. Instead this app follows an older paradigm about listen and repeat (audio-lingual method). Ask yourself this: how can you speak the language without knowing how to pronounce it correctly?
Writing: A minor note here, as the app does not advertise that it teaches writing. Don’t worry though, it won’t teach you how to write, so it lives up to the original promise.
I was able to answer the questions in English and it graded me very highly. I am not sure what the “Advanced Grading System” is doing, but understanding you in not one of them.
You are presented with the material once. Beginner lessons often deal with set phrases that you are supposed to memorize, and this comes with a series of drawbacks. More repetition would be nice, not to mention some variation.
At best, this app won’t teach you Chinese., At worst, it will imbue you with bad habits that you will need to unlearn in the future. I hope Microsoft will use its resources to make a more effective app, because this one is not.
Supplemental too for practice; really slow
I would recommend this as a tool to supplement a note vigorous learning program such as an academic class or private tutor. It is fun to have an interactive way to practice speaking without the performance anxiety. The processing time for grading responses takes about 5-6 seconds for each one. That doesn’t sound like much but it is quite noticeable. I don’t want to take away from the awesome technology at work to accomplish such a task but I bet Microsoft can do better.
Don’t use this by itself. Learn from books and people, apps are good to help you study and practice but not actually acquire a language.
Decent start for learning Mandarin, but needs improvement
First and foremost, Mandarin is a tonal language and tones make or break the situation. Microsoft doesn’t say anything about the tones prior to plunging into your studies.
I like how there’s both studying and conversation sections, but where is the writing portion? Writing is just as important as the other two sections and even helps memorization in some cases.
There should also be an option to revisit words or reintroduce weak words into practice to assist in memorizing.
Overall, it seems to be a good start to jumping into the wonderful world of Mandarin Chinese!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.