Use the new Microsoft Remote Desktop app to connect to a remote PC or virtual apps and desktops made available by your administrator. The app helps you be productive no matter where you are.
Configure your PC for remote access first by download the Remote Desktop assistant to your PC and let it do the work for you: https://aka.ms/rdsetup.
• Access remote PCs running Windows Professional or Enterprise and Windows Server
• Access remote resources published by your IT administrator
• Connect remotely through a Remote Desktop Gateway
• Secure connection to your data and applications
• Streamlined management of your connections from the connection center
• High quality video and audio streaming
Learn more about remote desktop apps at: https://aka.ms/rdapps.
Thanks for all the feedback sent to us through the App Store, in-app feedback and email. We’re working hard to make this app better with each release. In this version we addressed the following issues:
• Added support for the "remoteapplicationcmdline" RDP file setting for remote app scenarios.
• The title of the session window now includes the name of the RDP file (and server name) when launched from an RDP file.
• Fixed reported RD gateway performance issues.
• Fixed reported RD gateway crashes.
• Fixed issues where the connection would hang when connecting through an RD gateway.
• Better handling of full-screen remote apps by intelligently hiding the menu bar and dock.
• Fixed scenarios where remote apps remained hidden after being launched.
• Addressed slow rendering updates when using "Fit to Window" with hardware acceleration disabled.
• Handled database creation errors caused by incorrect permissions when the client starts up.
• Fixed an issue where the client was consistently crashing at launch and not starting for some users.
• Fixed a scenario where connections were incorrectly imported as full-screen from Remote Desktop 8.
Please keep the feedback coming. We read it all. If you encounter any errors, you can always contact us via Help > Report an Issue.
Ratings and Reviews
Good tool with potential to be great
Definitely speedier than the 8.0 version, with a few minor UI glitches. When I hit view connection center in full view, I get locked into the remote session and have to quit (Cmd-Q) the app to get back to the Mac desktop. Also when I first launched the app, all of my connections were missing. I assumed I would have to rebuild them like the transition from MS Office 2011 Remote Desktop to Remote Desktop 8. I was surprised when I found the import option under the connections menu. The only improvement I would make is to ask on first launch if you want to import from Remote Desktop 8. If you are using Remote Desktop 8, I recommend this upgrade.
Update 1: The glitch I describe only happens if you pin the Connection Window to the Menu Bar. If it is not pinned it works just like Remote Desktop 8.0 and allows you to get back to the Mac Desktop without quiting. I like the Pinned menu, but until this is fixed, I need to leave it unpinned.
Please mail us at email@example.com as we would like to better understand the pinning issue that you are hitting (so we can fix it if its a bug).
Fantastic, fast, and smooth from my small use
Had no qualms with the “square logo” version. I used it often, using both Active Directory logins and local logins. Did mass software installs on multiple machines simultaneously all remotely from the app. This one I feel like runs even faster and smoother than the last one! Great job, devs. I also can see on here that the devs are responding to many of the (often unbelievably whiny and uppity) complaints on this review page, often proving the customer wrong or letting them know that their desired feature is forthcoming. Thank you for your dedication, dev team. I feel these guys deserve a 5-star review. The average rating for this app largely seems to be due to customers’ ineptitude or ignorance, so the rating really isn’t fair or telling of the quality of the app.
Getting Better- Still Some User Interface Issues
We are a Microsoft partner who delivers a SAS app to 100’s of users via remote desktop and remote app. More than half of our users are on Mac’s and use Microsoft Remote Desktop.
We have found Version 10 much harder to setup on users desktops because unlike the prior version where most of the information was in one place - now its spread around via access to dropdowns and in various locations. When we first started using this we had cursor disappearance and mysterious disconnects - and couldnt seem to get support
It seems that they have been working hard to bring this up to speed and improve support. We started retesting and found the most current release to be much more stable - just dont try to open a full session screen on a 5K iMac in High Sierra yet.
We have the v.10 app in the Store so you can use it and iron out these issues. Please contact us so we can work with you to resolve problems before the v.8 app is pulled from the Store. You can mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. There is also a Slack MacAdmins group you can join to work with us 1:1 to get up and running.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.